Fischer Nordic Rocker

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Fischer Nordic Rocker

Post by Johnny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 am

Oh, I think the Fischer way of measuring rocker is pretty cool!

But we need one standard way of doing things. I had to dig through old technical PDFs written in Ukranian in order to find out about how they measured rocker the XX/XX way. Not the best way to turn something into the standard procedure while everyone else is measuring from the tip... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 am

Woodserson wrote: The problem with measuring from tip to contact-point-compressed is that you can wild differences depending on how the tip is constructed/designed. A lower profile tip or a high profile tip, etc., can change the distance making it tough to compare different rocker. I think contact-to-contact is slightly more standardized on nordic skis.

Of course on the alpine skis the ubiquitous low profile tips meld into the rocker, so maybe tip to contact-point-compressed is a better standard, but nordic wise I think not.
True- and I agree.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am

LoveJohnny wrote: while everyone else is measuring from the tip... 8-)
But- this only applies to a tip that is actually truly rockered- in other words, a ski tip that is actually reverse-cambered, doesn't it?

Perhaps the issue is that the standardized method of measuring a true rockered profile (i.e. reverse-cambered), doesn't work effectively when it comes to measuring "Nordic rocker"- perhaps that is why Fischer is measuring Nordic rocker differently.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 am

lilcliffy wrote:perhaps that is why Fischer is measuring Nordic rocker differently.
Well, that's the thing. Who said Fischer were actually measuring NR?!? And let's assume that Fischer are measuring Nordic Rocker in a remote laboratory in Austria according to a specific procedure. Where the hell can we see these numbers? :lol:

I mean, there is no information anywhere on any of their skis. It's not on the specs, it's not mentioned anywhere on their website... Except that all their skis seemed to be 5/10, which is obviously not accurate. No info on measurement either. Ok, we were able to dig the information somehow. But if we have to actually buy a pair of skis to know the specs, the whole thing is pretty much useless... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm

I wonder how NR changes mounting position? The sliding Fischer scale never made a comeback...

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm

I thought a Nordic Rocker was some sort of Santa Claus wearing a perfecto (leather jacket)...
grumpy_badass_santa_claus_cigarette_leather_jacket_cg7p9580476c.jpg
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Was/is( :shock: ) St. Nicholas a rocker?

Also- does Santa dress in the Coca-Cola uniform in the Nordic countries?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:26 pm

That was funny BTW- I have been waiting for someone to make a joke about Nordic rockers...The only Nordic rockers that immediately come to my mind are Scandinavian metal bands...

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 am

lilcliffy wrote: Also- does Santa dress in the Coca-Cola uniform in the Nordic countries?
Yes he does.

At least in Finland the current Santa is bit of a mix of old traditional pagan Joulupukki (literal translation: Christmas Billygoat) who used to punish naughty Children and wear grey clothes, and the Christian and Americanized Santa Claus.

The current Finnish version is still called Joulupukki and lives in the Finnish Lapland like the old version, but he wears the Cocacola costume and brings presents to kids like the Americanized Santa.
He doesn't really punish naughty kids anymore, but sometimes it is still said that he will bring nice presents to nice kids but he will bring brushwood to naughty kids (I guess he spanked naughty kids with that brushwood in the old times).

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 am

Verskis wrote:
lilcliffy wrote: Also- does Santa dress in the Coca-Cola uniform in the Nordic countries?
Yes he does.

At least in Finland the current Santa is bit of a mix of old traditional pagan Joulupukki (literal translation: Christmas Billygoat) who used to punish naughty Children and wear grey clothes, and the Christian and Americanized Santa Claus.

The current Finnish version is still called Joulupukki and lives in the Finnish Lapland like the old version, but he wears the Cocacola costume and brings presents to kids like the Americanized Santa.
He doesn't really punish naughty kids anymore, but sometimes it is still said that he will bring nice presents to nice kids but he will bring brushwood to naughty kids (I guess he spanked naughty kids with that brushwood in the old times).
In Switzerland sometimes Pere Noel would fly in via parapente along with his evil sidekick and they would land in a field in the village and pass out candy. I distinctly remember getting hit with a stick by his evil sidekick.