Northeast downhill ski for new NTN setup

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
blastOplast

Northeast downhill ski for new NTN setup

Post by blastOplast » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello All,

I am finally looking to make the transition to NTN, at least for resort skiing. I think I will like it as I've never been one to drop really low and these days I probably make about 50% alpine turns. So this is what I am thinking for a 90% lift / 10% backcountry* ski for the Ice Coast:
  1. Fischer Ranger 90 Ti - I first got excited about this ski. The carbon front seems cool. A lot of reviews call it versatile. There is also a 98 waist version that I would consider but I want something quick edge to edge. Someone recently told me these ski were "only ok and not very lively"
  2. Blizzard Bonafide - Also a bit wider and billed as do everything ski. I can't remember who turned me onto these but I like the sandwich construction and wood core.
  3. Blizzard Brahma - This is a narrower and quicker version of the Bonafide I guess
  4. J Skis Masterblaster - I am not that familiar with this ski or company but it received high ratings in the Freeskier Buyer's Guide. Carvable, playful, and I like the tighter radius
I am looking for something around 185 in length. I plan on mounting these with Outlaws and using Scarpa TX Pros. I really like skiing trees which is why I want something quick. Whatever skis I select would also need to hold their edge on hardpack and ice as that is just reality. I would like to improve on bumps. I'd probably use these for powder days as well, but I do have some wider boards set up with 75mm if I am fortunate enough to get some really deep snow.

Does anyone here have experience with any of these skis? What else should I be looking at? I didn't say anything about cost but that will obviously factor in as the whole new setup will set me back.

*Depending on snowfall and whether I end up moving soon I like to eventually ski mostly backcountry.

Ant01ne

Re: Northeast downhill ski for new NTN setup

Post by Ant01ne » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:16 pm

What about the sidecut radius? Powerful fun on hard pack also involves carving (imo).
This is often overlooked, but over 20 meters and it doesnt carve (unless GS speed..) and makes you tele like on straight planks.

Some have multiple points sidecut so they carve and float well but I didn't try (rossi soul, etc..)

Effective edge also. Over 140cm for stability at speed (for my 5'10")

I found joy in Head Revs. 90 underfoot and 135 tip. 16 radius. They say "all mountain" but u need more tip + rocker than that for powder days ;) ..90 is my magic number underfoot. More than that and I find it tough on the knees.

willco99

Re: Northeast downhill ski for new NTN setup

Post by willco99 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Hey blast,

I moved over to NTN last season and went with Outlaws on a Volkl Kendo. I absolutely love the setup.

The ski rocks groomers and hardpack and can handle any speed and edge angle. I like bumps and the most recent version with a bit of tip rocker handles them exceptionally well. They are super playful and ski the crud and mashed up stuff really well. I also skied them 3 days at Snowbird last season in some good pow and was surprised at how well they did..

Haven't tried the Blizzards so can't give a compare. I had been on K2's and Rossi's for a long while and tried the Dynastar Powertrack 89 2 seasons ago (hated it). The Kendos beat all of them, hands down. I love, love this as my every day frontside ski! I'm hard on gear and they seem bombproof as well.

Hope that helps.

P.S. You're going to love the Outlaw!

WC