Bishop Bomber

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
El Scotto

Bishop Bomber

Post by El Scotto » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Anyone here tried the new Bishop Bomber? Thoughts? Comparisons to NTN or Hammerhead? Thanks.

!ski

Re: Bishop Bomber

Post by !ski » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:38 pm

From reading the FAQ there appear to be no changes that would change the way the binding skis.
(http://www.bishopbindings.com/faq/ though at one time they offered hard and soft springs
and now only hard - I actually ski one hard and one soft and keeping thinking it is time for all hard.)

I just wish they would get some torsion springs back in stock ... I feel so "hippe telemark" without them.

What's next, skiing with duct taped pants.

I have not skied NTN and it has been years since Hammerheads, but I like a tele binding
without any rocker launch, and only NTN and Bomber Bishop provide that.

-r

TeleKräusen

Post by TeleKräusen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 am

I want to hear how they flex.

bogon

Post by bogon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 am

They flex beautifully, as it's the best 75mm binding.

Don't believe me?
I actually flexed them with my mouse, see here.

No release, though.
And no easy touring mode (although You can move the pivot forward to make it less active).
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

!ski

Post by !ski » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 am

I actually flexed them with my mouse, see here.
Impressive, but I am not too sure that is true finite element analysis.
I want to hear how they flex.
Depends, on how they are setup (which some find tricky), but suggesting a "binding"is fraught with issues.

And $500 and mounting etc is a lot to drop on a science experiment.

Here is another theory: With the Freeride and Freedom, and NTN binding in the works from TwentyTwo Designs,
going NTN might be future proof (with some rumor of a NTN Bishop) ... assuming your future can wait.

If Rottefella has licensed NTN to TwentyTwo Designs, they will likely enter into agreement with other Telemark binding manufacturers?

As I have always said, in a small market, who wants to do both 75 and NTN, even if you do like Garmont (Scott!)
and largely sell the same boot for each.

-r

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am

I actually flexed them with my mouse, see here
Wow! No matter how far you push those sliders with the mouse, the binding doesn't break!!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:14 pm

!ski wrote:From reading the FAQ there appear to be no changes that would change the way the binding skis.
(http://www.bishopbindings.com/faq/ though at one time they offered hard and soft springs
and now only hard - I actually ski one hard and one soft and keeping thinking it is time for all hard.)

I just wish they would get some torsion springs back in stock ... I feel so "hippe telemark" without them.

What's next, skiing with duct taped pants.

I have not skied NTN and it has been years since Hammerheads, but I like a tele binding
without any rocker launch, and only NTN and Bomber Bishop provide that.

-r
:lol: :lol: :lol: It's not possible..even if the d'bill is barely angled, there will
be some rocker launch/pressure..Alpine turns are better with some rocker pressure..
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

El Scotto

Post by El Scotto » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for all the input. I never actually skied the old ones, either, but I had heard great things. I'll be looking to upgrade from the Hammerhead next season but am weary of the NTN from what I've read on this board and others, and I think I'd prefer to stick with 75mm anyway, since I still like to ski all my old set-ups occasionally. I realize I should demo, but I'm unaware of any place I can demo BB.

FYI, the BB is on sale for $400 at Bentgate here in Golden, CO. Not sure if that applies to their website.

bogon

Post by bogon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 am

!ski wrote:with some rumor of a NTN Bishop
source?

Last I heard, Bishop depended on duckbill to break the bellows, so You could stick NTN boot in there, but activity would be zero (no duckbill resistance => boot just kinda pivots)...
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

DaHeel

Post by DaHeel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 pm

El Scotto wrote:Thanks for all the input. I never actually skied the old ones, either, but I had heard great things. I'll be looking to upgrade from the Hammerhead next season but am weary of the NTN from what I've read on this board and others, and I think I'd prefer to stick with 75mm anyway, since I still like to ski all my old set-ups occasionally. I realize I should demo, but I'm unaware of any place I can demo BB.

FYI, the BB is on sale for $400 at Bentgate here in Golden, CO. Not sure if that applies to their website.

Come on up to Beaver Creek or Vail and we can have a demo ready for ya.
No one cares that you stayed for the summers!