The FEEEL between rod/cartridge and compression springs.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The FEEEL between rod/cartridge and compression springs.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 pm

An active binding will control the ski while it is unweighted. During a turn I can feel the ski working before my weight is on it and after. So I have more control of the ski throughout the transition. That's why it makes it easier to stay tight and over your skis as opposed to having your rear ski fall back disrupting your rythym.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: The FEEEL between rod/cartridge and compression springs.

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 pm

So this is good right?

I like how I feeeeel on my BD 02's, it is a good feeling and I find less fatiguing and a bit easier on the firmer-steep stuff. There may be a time in the future when I want a less active binding on the Vector, but right now the neutral bindings are working well on my skinny stuff (Outtabounds, Big Bangs) and the BD 02 is working nice on that big ol' weird K2 thing I have. The logic seems sound.

I can now hold my own pretty well in most terrain except moguls and bumped up trees. I think the steeper couloirs on Mt Washington may be challenging too, but doable. We. Will. See.