The FEEEL between rod/cartridge and compression springs.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: The FEEEL between rod/cartridge and compression springs.

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:49 pm

I didn't break out the Vectors today, did a run on the Outtabounds and leather, ate snow for breakfast then swapped to the Rossis for the day. However, a living-room carpet test already shows marked improvement on yesterdays baloney tip-toe crap. Of course now I can't lock the heel lever below the heed pad anymore because the lever is too far forward, it doesn't even drop to the ski surface anymore which makes clipping in a little more difficult. Annoying. The ski shop had one job.

mainer

Post by mainer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 pm

To me it sounds like you just need to weight your back foot a little more and get used to putting more force into weighting/flexing the boot. Should help with the boot not flexing and the ski feeling wobbly. I've skied the original red switchbacks on big skis with Synergies and didn't have any problem with the binding being too soft to flex the boot. Making sure the binding makes a solid "WHACK" when you snap the heel lever on (as others have mentioned) is also good.

mainer

Post by mainer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Woodserson wrote:I didn't break out the Vectors today, did a run on the Outtabounds and leather, ate snow for breakfast then swapped to the Rossis for the day. However, a living-room carpet test already shows marked improvement on yesterdays baloney tip-toe crap. Of course now I can't lock the heel lever below the heed pad anymore because the lever is too far forward, it doesn't even drop to the ski surface anymore which makes clipping in a little more difficult. Annoying. The ski shop had one job.

If you want to move the heel pad, you can pop the screw cover off, loosen the screws a bit, and slide it fore/aft as needed. Both screws are in one long hole which allows for some adjustment.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:35 pm

mainer wrote:

If you want to move the heel pad, you can pop the screw cover off, loosen the screws a bit, and slide it fore/aft as needed. Both screws are in one long hole which allows for some adjustment.
Did not know it slid in there. Thanks! Keeps me from drilling.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:28 pm

And, using the climbing bail, you could hold down the heel. Not a perfect fit, but it works.

And if you follow Voile's mount instructions, I've found the heel lever doesn't fall perfectly behind the heel piece. You have to either adjust the heel piece as Mainer indicated or loosen the cartridges every time you want to store the throw in that manner (and not worth that).

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:23 pm

dnt_upton wrote:And, using the climbing bail, you could hold down the heel. Not a perfect fit, but it works.

And if you follow Voile's mount instructions, I've found the heel lever doesn't fall perfectly behind the heel piece. You have to either adjust the heel piece as Mainer indicated or loosen the cartridges every time you want to store the throw in that manner (and not worth that).
I'm using the bail now that I can actually get it to drop after the heel piece by sliding it forward. Might take these for a spin tomorrow.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:27 am

Woodserson wrote:Might take these for a spin tomorrow.
Pics or it didn't happen...

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:11 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.... As you can see I'm hucking my meat off this huge cliff, took a pic on the way down. It was pretty epic you had to be there.

MUCH MUCH BETTER skiing today with the cartridge adjustment, they were so out of whack... now I can actually concentrate on getting better at Tele. Thanks again Connyro!
2016-12-14 12.06.37.jpg

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Woodserson wrote:As you can see I'm hucking my meat off this huge cliff
Did they give you a hot dog at the rope tow?

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:08 pm

I'll admit I had to look at that photo several times to get your joke. At first I thought you were just standing on some really light cover.

What kinda leashes do you have on? I'm thinking maybe I should get some when I'm at the tow just to keep the fuzz from hassling me...but I don't want to spend $30.