Ideal living locations

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Ideal living locations

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 pm

This past summer and fall got me thinking, we had pretty much the ideal weather (in NY) for outdoor rec most of the year (sucked if you are a farmer or gardener) - it was warm (hot in the summer, many days in the 90s) and dry. Most of the state was in heavy to severe drought. Fall was like a mild summer. It lasted forever before it finally just decided to cool off and start raining all the time. Not typical at all. But it was like summer never ended.

While those conditions aren't typical, and are probably some doomsday warning of the Apocalypse to come, I spent quite a lot of time on my bike, and the vast majority of it riding dry, hero dirt. My body was the limiting factor in most cases to how many days a week I rode, not the weather.

This winter has been off to a good start too. We had a relatively short shoulder season and now we seem to be getting cold temps and low, but steady snowfall.

Again, all this got me thinking. Where is the ideal place to live for a skier and biker? Warm, dry summer and fall and cold, snowy winter and spring?

I ran across an article the other day about Bend, Oregon. I think I'm in love. The mountain biking looks absolutely fabulous and the skiing, perhaps better? Mt. Bachelor alone looks like you could ski every day of the season and never be bored - it's gigantic, has terrain both in bounds and out on every side, and supposedly (I have no real confirmation other than their propaganda) gets good snow.

Their climate data shows very few days above 90 in the summer, a long "Indian summer" most years and very little precipitation due to the Cascades blocking the moist air from the coast. Along those lines, the proximity to the Cascades makes it ideal for winter skiing.

I'm kind of sold - seems like an awesome place to live... if you can figure out how to make a living there...

It also looks to me like Southern Colorado (Durango) could be similar in this respect.

Any others?

mugglesport

Re: Ideal living locations

Post by mugglesport » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:42 pm

I love this topic. I’ve wondered the same thing quite a bit. We’re very happy living where we do (Madison, WI) but I wish there was more topography to feed my gravity-assisted needs and desires. For me, getting the year-round quality of life, community-vitality matters, and employment opportunities covered is the top priority…then recreational characteristics would be next. Having the best ski and biking wilderness in the world out my backdoor would not matter if I’m in suburban sprawl or miles from any real walkable main street type area. That’s one reason we nixed Colorado a few years ago (I mean, Boulder would be great, but the cost of living…). I love skiing out west, but I’d hate to have to drive everywhere.

Madison is about perfect for me with regard to that first set of priorities, largely because it’s both a college town and the state capitol (lots of arts, events, jobs, etc.). It’s close enough to big cities (Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago) to not feel remote. There are cheap direct flights to Denver, but some decent skiing in-state (and if you’re into Nordic racing, we have the American Birkie). It has consistently great mountain biking across the state. As for other places…I’ve wondered about Burlington and I hear a lot of good things about Missoula and Bozeman.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:24 pm

I have a friend who moved to Kalispell who I went to high school with. I've never been to visit him but the pictures I've seen of his house it's like another world. It's very much desert. He's very close to Glacier though, so that is a plus. Bozeman always looked cool to me too, mainly due to proximity to national parks.

I used to live pretty close to Burlington, but I've never actually been. Of my North Country places to live, I'd go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saranac_Lake,_New_York

There is no industry. There are no jobs per sae, but it's a real town in one the best areas in this state. There is a hospital, schools, and grocery stores... and that's all I really need.

If you are a little more bougie you could try Lake Placid, which is close by. It's far too upscale, Olympic and touristy for my tastes. I usually end up there once or twice a year and can't wait to get away.

Another place that I have friends and family living, and was kind of on my radar at one time is Asheville, NC. I've been down south once and I didn't like it, but apparently Asheville is a little more tolerable being up in the mountains. I'm not sure they get much snow, so it's not exactly an ideal place for someone who likes to ski.

bmike-vt

Post by bmike-vt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:42 pm

We are in Burlington, lots to do right in town. Lots of places to work. $$$ housing. We make it work... I used to live in a small town in S.Vt. before. Basically had to take a pay cut and figure out how to make life work (easier then I was single) to be able to live in VT.

I'd love to be out west... for sure. But theres a whole lot of nuthin out there in some places. For me its been a balance of everyday stuff (kids, school, groceries, etc...) and minimizing car time (before we switched kids to another school we were able to ride pretty much everywhere we needed to be...

Anyway, some interesting insight into MT here:

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2016/10/2 ... t-montana/

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

MikeK wrote:I have a friend who moved to Kalispell who I went to high school with. I've never been to visit him but the pictures I've seen of his house it's like another world. It's very much desert. He's very close to Glacier though, so that is a plus. Bozeman always looked cool to me too, mainly due to proximity to national parks.

I used to live pretty close to Burlington, but I've never actually been. Of my North Country places to live, I'd go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saranac_Lake,_New_York

There is no industry. There are no jobs per sae, but it's a real town in one the best areas in this state. There is a hospital, schools, and grocery stores... and that's all I really need.

If you are a little more bougie you could try Lake Placid, which is close by. It's far too upscale, Olympic and touristy for my tastes. I usually end up there once or twice a year and can't wait to get away.

Another place that I have friends and family living, and was kind of on my radar at one time is Asheville, NC. I've been down south once and I didn't like it, but apparently Asheville is a little more tolerable being up in the mountains. I'm not sure they get much snow, so it's not exactly an ideal place for someone who likes to ski.
All things considered Asheville is the coolest town I've ever been to. Maybe not ideal for skiing though Mt. Mitchell is not far, but access to biking, kayaking, fly fishing. Good music scene too and beer. Beer.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:49 pm

StormyMonday wrote: All things considered Asheville is the coolest town I've ever been to. Maybe not ideal for skiing though Mt. Mitchell is not far, but access to biking, kayaking, fly fishing. Good music scene too and beer. Beer.
Yes my cousin who lives there is a glass blower (and actually survives doing this full-time). He said the beer is good. And cheap. I think Oskar Blues has a brewery right there...

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Haven't been to Asheville since the late 90s, but it has always seemed like a cool town (western NC in general, too). But I don't ever want to live in the south again.
bmike-vt wrote:We are in Burlington, lots to do right in town. Lots of places to work. $$$ housing. We make it work... I used to live in a small town in S.Vt. before. Basically had to take a pay cut and figure out how to make life work (easier then I was single) to be able to live in VT.

I'd love to be out west... for sure. But theres a whole lot of nuthin out there in some places. For me its been a balance of everyday stuff (kids, school, groceries, etc...) and minimizing car time (before we switched kids to another school we were able to ride pretty much everywhere we needed to be...

Anyway, some interesting insight into MT here:

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2016/10/2 ... t-montana/
Thanks for sharing. I definitely want to visit Burlington sometime but can't decide between summer and winter. Never been northeast of NYC actually.

Regarding the worst things about Montana...I think I need to add "proximity to a somewhat major airport" and "within a day's drive of a metro of 1 million or more" to my list of priorities.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm

OSLO NORWAY you DUMMIES

Water, Mountains, Culture, Snow. Public Transport to skiing. More skiing everywhere else in the country. Nice summers with long days. Long winters with lots of the fun white stuff. Short airplane ride to everywhere else in Yurp. Nice opera house.

YES! The solutions!

(I can't lecture Mrs Woodserson anymore about this location, so you guyz are my new victims)

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Oh wow - yes, that does sound nice... I'm not a big fan of herring though.

Can I still get a hot dog?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Yes, but they cost $20.