Binding position on Fischer Watea 98 BC TT?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Binding position on Fischer Watea 98 BC TT?

Post by rongon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 pm

I got a pair of Fischer Watea 98 BC TT (I'm told same as Big Stix 98) in 176 cm length. They're a twin tip, with early rise tips. My previous skis have all been standard cambered skis.

I put Switchback X2's on them, so that the center line of boot is 1.5 cm back of the center line on the ski.

I took them out in typical East Coast groomer conditions and didn't like them. The front of the ski feels great, but it felt like the skis' tails were always in the way, especially in bumps and trees.

So my question -- How far back can I put the bindings on these skis? I was thinking of moving the bindings back another 1.5 cm, so that the boot center line is 3 cm back of the center line on the ski. Is that too extreme?

BTW, I'm 5'7" (about 170cm) tall, 185 lbs (84 kg), in case that changes things.

--

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Binding position on Fischer Watea 98 BC TT?

Post by Johnny » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 am

Personally, I always mount all my 75mm skis pin line at ski chord center. There's no way I could ski them at boot center... So yeah feel free to experiment... Don't be afraid to go back... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Stover

Re: Binding position on Fischer Watea 98 BC TT?

Post by Stover » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 pm

I have Watea 101s in 182, also mounted with Voile X2s. Similar ski to the 96, except it has a raised tail, not a full twin. I don't recall the exact location of my first mount, but it was likely about 1-1.5cm back from boot center, and I didn't like the performance of the ski either. After a season on them, I moved the binding back another 1-1.5cm and it was much better. I love the ski now, great in all conditions, although a little heavier than I'd like for touring.