Bought my first set of tele skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Steel_drifter

Bought my first set of tele skis

Post by Steel_drifter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi guys, I'm obviously new here, and I've recently bought my first pair of decent tele skis, several years ago I had bought a pair of rossignol(I believe) telemark skis that were about 15 years old with an old old pair of blue and purple scarpa boots, I used those quite a bit back then, and got out of it when I moved. I just moved back towards lake placid and wanted to get back into it, so I went to a local store bought a set of Salomon q105s and hammerhead bindings(used bindings) for a grand total of $530 with a set of used older t2s, I was only able to get a couple runs in before my feet started cramping up, so I put the boots up for consignment, and tried a pair of excursions with no luck so finally I decided on the t2eco boots which is more than I wanted to spend but they fit pretty great, and I'm hoping that it will be enough boot, and binding for my ski.

mainer

Re: Bought my first set of tele skis

Post by mainer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Hammerheads will ski anything, and T2s will ski just about anything. You might find you feel "lacking" boot stiffness if you're trying to lay trenches in ice, but other than that I think that will be a reasonable boot/binding/ski combo.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm

WELCOME! Awesome to hear about you getting back into Telemark skiing. I haven't been to the Lake Placid area in over 30 years! I was born in Montreal and my family used to go on Nordic ski touring trips all over the place- including the Adirondacks. I have a very clear memory- I was seven- of watching some of the events of the 1980 Winter Olympics- I was particularly awe-inspired by the ski jumping...

I probably cannot offer much in terms of discussion on-piste Telemark skiing. 99.9% of my skiing is Nordic XCD touring from my doorstep here in the hills. On occasion my kids convince me to go with them to the local lift-served hill- Crabbe Mtn.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Hey Drifter - where you skiing at up there? The face?

Steel_drifter

Post by Steel_drifter » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Yeah, I work the lifts at whiteface man, free pass is always sweet, I just got out of my second job, maybe we can share turns one day?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:47 am

Yeah - that'd be cool. I RARELY get up to LP though. It's like 5.5 hrs from home.

danomike

Post by danomike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Steel_drifter, here is an article about boot volume that you might find useful:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/25021/tech ... lume-boot/