Who's skiing tomorrow?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Who's skiing tomorrow?

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:42 am

fisheater wrote:Graupel

Graupel, also called soft hail or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled droplets of water are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm balls of rime. The term graupel comes from the German language.

Wikipedia

Skied 12" of graupel once, loved it so much I learned what it was called. My favorite hero snow, point 'em down the hill and let them arc as you feel it, fast! I had the pleasure of dry graupel, sounds like you had wet graupel. It still sounds like fun. I would be happy with a thick layer of hoar frost, maybe I could get some yard k&g going :roll: :roll:
Graupel. Awesome word. English is such a limited language.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Today! (Yesterday it was tomorrow and tomorrow it will be yesterday so all good I suppose in this thread; though, tomorrow never knows...)

Had a great day skiing Hoodoo in the central Oregon Cascades today. Snowed continuously delivering about 7-8 inches by the end of the day, though it was kind of "dust on crust" early on. Really fun storm skiing with my son. Barely a soul on the mountain and free refills all afternoon. And to top it off Hoodoo just hit the 100" mark today (http://www.santiampassskipatrol.org/wx/weather.htm). :D 8-)

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Currently got snow coming out of my eyeballs...

We got 60cm this week by early this morning alone...

More flurries tomorrow.

Another 30cm in the forecast on Sunday night.

More snow through the week next week!

Pic of playing on mini-steep slopes in our gravel pit this week on Hoks:
IMG_20170208_163220289.jpg
Been pulling around the little ones in sleds on our Hoks- then charging down sliding hills on the Hoks while the kids fly on sleds. FUN.

Out for a long tour and glade runs tomorrow and Sunday.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:29 pm

WE GOT 80CM OF SNOW YESTERDAY.

GLB

Post by GLB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Well the warm temperatures and rain is killing our snow. However I am going out today to give it a try. Need to brake in a new pair of t4s

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Gareth... you should get some speed and do a 360 off that lip ;)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 pm

GLB wrote:Well the warm temperatures and rain is killing our snow. However I am going out today to give it a try. Need to brake in a new pair of t4s
Well if the history of the last month repeats itself we will have a deterioration of conditions mid week followed by fresh snow for the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

GLB

Post by GLB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:08 pm

I hope you are right. No ski today, it rained even harder as I was about to go out. We are starting to flood around here with one lane traffic on the Seward Hwy from standing water, in town is even worse.
Greg

GLB

Post by GLB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Got out today and tried the t4s. We had 3" of heavy wet snow on top of the freezing rain/slush from the past two days. The snow was fast and grabby, I used my new K2 Waybacks and my epoch. The waybacks are the fattest ski I have ever skied at 126-88-113 and they felt weird but floated very well compared to the Epochs. I have very little experience skiing in hard boots and during lead changes I felt out of control and difficult to find my balance but in the turn I could feel the strength of the stiff boot. Need to work on getting use to them plus a lot of new all at once today with the fat skis and t4s.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:22 pm

lilcliffy wrote:WE GOT 80CM OF SNOW YESTERDAY.
Take a photo or two, it's bare here. 80 cm, that is so cool! It also a good reason for you to get those Vectors ;). Oh, and by the way for my metric challenged friend that also live south of the border (I actually drive south to go to Canada) 80 cm is a little more than 2 1/2 feet. I would be taking those two vacation days I have been saving.

I am taking my son north for rental snow this weekend. It is supposed to be warm, so I will probably be entertaining trying to ski the USGI's in heavy granular over boilerplate. When I have enough of that, I'll break out the old mid-fats, newly mounted with some Hammerheads. That will be an entirely different feel.

After this weekend I might start fishing for steelhead in the rivers. No use crying over my second lame winter in a row.