How useful is internet skiing?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

How useful is internet skiing?

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 pm

In terms of say conditions?

It seems like most of these attempts have been flops, at least in my narrow view. No one really seems to do much reporting on avy risk (not that I'd even pay much attention) and here in the east, you don't really want to advertise too much, and by the time you post anything, that sweet powder has turned to a death crust. As for resorts, it could rain one day, get cold at night, they blow snow and it be spectacular in the morning. Are these trip reports giving any more information than what one might get from the ski resort website and the local weather?

I get if you had a good time you probably want to brag a bit and post a few pictures to show how awesome your day was... but when I have good days, last thing I think of is taking pictures. I'm usually too busy actually skiing.

I know we don't really do trip reports here because it's an international forum, but do these local boards actually help anyone? I poke around and once in a while get a tip about a new storm a few hours earlier than I might have otherwise but I don't think I've actually ever had someone's trip report be useful in planning my ski outing.

AmIright? So are all ski forums good for is talking about gear, arguing about technique and posting stoke? Might be... :?

nebcskier

Re: How useful is internet skiing?

Post by nebcskier » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 pm

I never looked to the ski forums for conditions, but I do love the stoke and pictures of reports from people that post them. I am an internet surfer more than I am a skier. That's just my life right now and one day I will leave the internet behind and go explore more than I am able right now. I do love the forums for connecting with like minded people and have met some great people who have hooked be up with lodging when in a bind. I also like to buy and sell used gear on the forums.

I am always interested in what people have to say even if I don't agree or don't really have an opinion. Sometimes I iwll even share my thoughts or opinions. I never liked the flame wars that occurred often on ttips.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:50 pm

I agree. I love pictures and videos. Especially the humorous ones that don't take themselves too seriously. I also like a nice production here or there, but c'mon... not everyone can do that...

I'm not a fan of the wars either. A good debate is one thing, but it's a fine line between one of those and a war... and often a good debate will turn to a war when people have run out of intelligible arguments and just resort to bashing.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm right there with nebcskier. We don't get out enough because the snow where we live is now non existent so after work forays in the woods aren't happening, but we get to live vicariously through the good fortune of others. In terms on conditions I don't really find it any more useful than weather reports. I'm like you Mike, if I'm skiing I'm probably not taking pictures and if it's powder I'm sure not telling anyone where it is! OK I don't actually know the name of a given hill or mountain I'm on most of the time anyway. In terms of avy reports it's important but I do worry that people will take "reports" at face value and lower their guards instead of doing the proper diligence.

danomike

Post by danomike » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:54 pm

They're all useful in their own way, and there is overlap.

For conditions, I use the NWS (has a great Sierra mountain weather section), the local avy site (http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/), Earn Your Turns (dedicated Sierra thread), TGR (dedicated Tahoe thread), and a couple of private FB groups for Sierra skiers.

This site is great for gear and technique questions. And I guess, if I go east to ski, I'd look here.

Here's a condition report for Tahoe:

STG

Post by STG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:41 am

For conditions: National Weather Service (point location/daily), Forest Service Avalanche Center, Department of Transportation

For enjoyment and information: Videos, photos and descriptions of ski adventures; online discussion of ski gear and ski technique

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm

STG wrote:For conditions: National Weather Service (point location/daily), Forest Service Avalanche Center, Department of Transportation

For enjoyment and information: Videos, photos and descriptions of ski adventures; online discussion of ski gear and ski technique
Ditto for the most part. Snow conditions here are not particularly variable--driving conditions are more important. And there is no one else that lives in Eastern WA or OR.

STG

Post by STG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 pm

satsuma:

I live in SW Montana. The most dangerous part of a day of backcountry skiing is the driving! Incredibly bad drivers here and i think the hwy statistics support this.

STG

Post by STG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Another resource for conditions: SNOTEL (Natural Resource Conservation Service) for snow depth/temperature:

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap/in ... onthPart=E

Or google SNOTEL