New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.

MikeK

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Also refer to this:

http://wasatchski.com/tts.htm

NNN + heel attachment would fundamentally be no different EXCEPT to maintain the rubber flexor for optimal XC striding.

It would not be hard at all to implement a heel piece on NNN-BC bindings. The real issue is more along the lines of the way the boot soles are molded. There really is not great feature there for attaching a cable to. Could this be solved... sure, relatively easily.

BUT... if someone did show the commercial viability of a NNN/cable hybrid and offer it for sale, perhaps the best plan would be to approach the boot manufacturers to add that feature to the sole.

HBS

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by HBS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Bought mine last winter - not sure when the new one was.

Maybe this is where they talk about the strap?
Despite my powerful adds drawn pages completely against each other above the ankle, so that the lacing loses power, and it is a little far jumps without constriction between the grate and the top of the shaft which does not provide optimum tension around the ankle.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Color would help for generation HBS...

I *think* the oldest ones are grey/black, the middle gen is brown/black and the new ones are black/lime green(?).

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:47 pm

MikeK wrote:Also refer to this:

http://wasatchski.com/tts.htm

NNN + heel attachment would fundamentally be no different EXCEPT to maintain the rubber flexor for optimal XC striding.

It would not be hard at all to implement a heel piece on NNN-BC bindings. The real issue is more along the lines of the way the boot soles are molded. There really is not great feature there for attaching a cable to. Could this be solved... sure, relatively easily.

BUT... if someone did show the commercial viability of a NNN/cable hybrid and offer it for sale, perhaps the best plan would be to approach the boot manufacturers to add that feature to the sole.
I was thinking something along the lines of this cable and cable/boot interaction: http://www.voile.com/voile-3-pin-cable- ... nding.html They clamp to Alaskas. They might clamp to others too, no?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah - it's the same principle.

The 75mm Alaskas (and most 75mm boots) have a groove on the back of the sole for the cable. The NNN boots do not. You'd have to devise something.

Compare:

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:18 pm

I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. Well, how about these Salomons: http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-x-ad ... untry-boot They look to have a design that would hold a cable. Perhaps those boots aren't worthy of consideration though. I don't recall them being mentioned.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:22 pm

They might, but they use a different system that was discontinued. It's called SNS-XA which is different than NNN-BC. Salomon never really licensed their sole to any other boot manufacturers and it kind of pigeon-holed them. They've now thrown in the towel and stopped making BC bindings altogether.

There is a solution... I know... because what you are asking has already been done. Maybe that person will disclose it? I can't say... but there are other ways to skin that cat.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:36 pm

MikeK wrote:They might, but they use a different system that was discontinued. It's called SNS-XA which is different than NNN-BC. Salomon never really licensed their sole to any other boot manufacturers and it kind of pigeon-holed them. They've now thrown in the towel and stopped making BC bindings altogether.

There is a solution... I know... because what you are asking has already been done. Maybe that person will disclose it? I can't say... but there are other ways to skin that cat.
Thanks. And yes, I'd love to see what the other person has done. Regardless though. Before I get too carried away thinking about it, I'd have to ask: Giving the familiarity of my particular needs/desires, would adding a cable to my Magnum bindings and using them with better boots (BCX6, Svartisen, Alaska) give me enough gain to be worth the effort?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm

It's tough to say... I've never tried the cable NNN system, so I don't know.

I'd say if you really want a cable, buy a pair of 75mm boots and bindings... for now... the leather boots tour pretty well.

If you want to stick with NNN, try it. From what it sounds like, the conditions where you will ski dh, the cable with be a hindrance. Many of those who are dedicated "pinners" use the cables for hard, icy conditions and forgo it any other time.

Personally, for the XCD I do - I don't use a cable for 75mm or the hypothetical NNN.