New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Meadow skipping to me has more to do with the length of the run than the its steepness. You are just skiing part of the mountain not a top to bottom run. Most openings in the trees in forested areas are not too big and don't have a lot of vertical. The problem with low angle meadows is that when the snow is deep you can't get up enough speed to turn unless you bring out the powder boards to give you the float you need.

For the set up that you have I think you will find the best conditions on packed trails that have a few inches or more of new snow on top. Meadows will be more hit or miss because of dealing with the different layers under the fresh new snow.

MikeK

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:25 pm

I don't know if you notice, but I sometimes take something people use a derogatory term and try to turn it around by using it in a positive sense.

Meadow skipping is a slightly derogative terms used to denote skiing that isn't deemed as being "cool" or "core" enough and isn't groomed track cross country. It's like XCD - it's just a catch-all for in between. Perhaps technically it's non-avalanche prone terrain.

I totally agree with Al though. Sometimes skiing in fields or meadows sucks. Sometimes it's not bad. I'll play around a little bit in them if there is a supportive base with something over it or if its really deep and heavy enough to keep me off the grass. You also need a little pitch to get going - depends on the snow too. A crust that your break through will just slow you way down, and if you do get up on it, may give way at any time.

Don't know exactly where you are skiing, but sometimes a little shelter from trees will help be it a trail, an old road or open trees.

Just get out and ski and don't worry about what it is called... ;)

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Another thing that distinguishes meadow skipping for me is not using skins. I can climb a 30 or more degree slope with wax or scales using traverses to gain a few hundred feet of vert, but if I had much more to climb I'd want skins.

I'm proud to be a meadow skipper, I think it is the future of telemark and should appeal to anyone who considers themseves to be a Nordic skier.

I have had days where I skied untracked powder all day in small isolated meadows that were too short to be worthwhile for someone putting skins on and off. This has happened days and sometimes weeks after the last storm and the mountain is pretty much all tracked up.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Meadow skipping is fun.

It's a bit more pedestrian than skiing big lines, but much more accessible.

Major advantages as I see are it are like this:

-It's not all that dangerous, so to go out by yourself is not all that threatening. You might hit a tree or a stump or a woodchuck, but that could happen on your bike or hiking. Plan accordingly. I only ski in the trees when there is deep snow and I feel in control, if not, I'll ski elsewhere.

-You don't need serious terrain. If you look, you'll find countless areas to ski. Some easier, some harder... some not worth the hassle, some a lot of fun with low effort, etc... for me, my biggest enemy is snow. I have more areas that are fun to ski than I have snowpack close to home.

-You don't need expensive gear. Pretty much any Nordic gear will get you around, but as you know there is a wide spectrum of stuff that will hone ski experience. Pick something in the middle and you can get by doing pretty much anything.

The whole beauty of meadow skipping, or XCD, or whatever you want to call it is you can propel yourself around in XC fashion and ski dh should you need or like. Half the fun is pushing the limits of your hybrid XC equipment.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:48 pm

It is the word "skipping" that gives it the negative conotation. I'm pretty sure that not many of us would feel comfortable skipping in public, even though it feels good. It would be much more popular if it were called "meadow killing" or "meadow slaying" or the like. In addition, if you build a kicker in your meadow to do some arials and promote it with people drinking Red Bull I think it would be downright popular.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm quite alright with being unpopular, thank you very much 8-)

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:26 pm

MikeK wrote:I'm quite alright with being unpopular, thank you very much 8-)
I agree, more people would only mean more dogs to avoid on the downhills.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm

lowangle al wrote: I'm proud to be a meadow skipper, I think it is the future of telemark and should appeal to anyone who considers themseves to be a Nordic skier..
Agreed 100%

GLB

Post by GLB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 pm

I have had days where I skied untracked powder all day in small isolated meadows that were too short to be worthwhile for someone putting skins on and off. This has happened days and sometimes weeks after the last storm and the mountain is pretty much all tracked up.
I agree that is where I have the most fun and it's out my back door. I can hit the hilly XC track and then finish off on the back side for some turns.
IMG_0037.JPG

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:15 pm

I hope it's still good for you down there GLB, high winds and warm temps put the damper on things here. I took the xc skis out and hit the groomed trails here for lack of a better option. It was fun and I even made a few turns.