New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
ddg

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by ddg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 pm

lilcliffy wrote:My Alico Snow March boots arrived a couple of weeks ago.
How are they for sizing, lilcliffy? What size do you usually wear and what UK size did you order from GIJoes? Thanks.

Fishnaked, I purchased those very BC125 a couple of years ago (great deal) and mounted Voile 3-pins with cables. However, the last 2 winters have been rather disappointing for snow (and XC skiing) here in southern NB so used them very little. I tried the T4s with them and found them way too stiff for the type of XCd I do. More like robot walking on flat rolling terrain. Although they were fantastic for downhill control. (And I was duly warned of this from the folks here at this site.)

These March boots from the UK look like a good possibility for the price.
Derrick

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Great to hear from you man!
ddg wrote: How are they for sizing, lilcliffy? What size do you usually wear and what UK size did you order from GIJoes? Thanks.
I seem to be consistently a 42.5EU. If I cannot get a 42.5- whether a 42 or a 43 fits best depends on the specific boot. 43 is usually too large in terms of boot volume.

I typically wear a 9US- 8.5-9.5 depending on the specific boot. I ordered a size "8" in the Alico Ski March (British boot size- supposed to be equivalent to a 9US).

I have a fair bit of experience with these old school stiff leather Nordic/mountaineering boots- and for me too much boot volume in a boot like this is murder on your heels (heel lift blisters) and on your metatarsus (crushing).

The size 8 are a tad short in length- especially for my longer left foot. But the volume is right and there is no heel lift. If I lace them up properly and flex them, there is just enough length for my toes.

I'm a bit surprised by these boots. Full-grain, thick leather; welted sole; heavy-duty stiff sole flex; padded collar; Thinsulate insulation; Cambrelle breathable liner. They are much more than I was expecting...
Fishnaked, I purchased those very BC125 a couple of years ago (great deal) and mounted Voile 3-pins with cables. However, the last 2 winters have been rather disappointing for snow (and XC skiing) here in southern NB so used them very little. I tried the T4s with them and found them way too stiff for the type of XCd I do. More like robot walking on flat rolling terrain. Although they were fantastic for downhill control. (And I was duly warned of this from the folks here at this site.)
Have you added another ski to your quiver since?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

ddg

Post by ddg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm

lilcliffy wrote: I typically wear a 9US- 8.5-9.5 depending on the specific boot. I ordered a size "8" in the Alico Ski March (British boot size- supposed to be equivalent to a 9US).

I have a fair bit of experience with these old school stiff leather Nordic/mountaineering boots- and for me too much boot volume in a boot like this is murder on your heels (heel lift blisters) and on your metatarsus (crushing).

The size 8 are a tad short in length- especially for my longer left foot. But the volume is right and there is no heel lift. If I lace them up properly and flex them, there is just enough length for my toes.

I'm a bit surprised by these boots. Full-grain, thick leather; welted sole; heavy-duty stiff sole flex; padded collar; Thinsulate insulation; Cambrelle breathable liner. They are much more than I was expecting...
That's good to hear. I'm 9.5 to 10 US so I guess size 9 UK would be the way to go. Worth a chance at that price.
lilcliffy wrote: Have you added another ski to your quiver since?
Nothing new under these conditions. :D Last winter I didn't once go skiing or snowshoeing. Hiking and biking only. This year just one snowshoe. No complaints though - if it's bad for snow activities it's good for others. Perfect for cutting firewood.
Derrick

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:05 pm

MikeK wrote:Sounds like a solid plan.

Any three of those boots will have significant advantages over the ones you have, and all 3 are more solid in terms of sole stiffness.

Again, I'd encourage you toward something with ankle support... it does make a big difference. The BCX6 would probably do it, and it's a popular boot in Scandinavia where it competes with the Svartisen.
Like you, I believe the BCX6 looks cheap ....at least compared to the Svartisen and Alaskas. And in particular, it's hard for me to get beyond the smallish looking zipper. Possible longevity issues aside, wouldn't that zipper be prone to freezing shut, necessitating a thawing out period before removing the boot from ones foot? That said, if I can find a good enough deal on a pair....

I also wanted to extend my appreciation to all the others who have contributed to this thread. Thanks to all!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Fishnaked wrote: Like you, I believe the BCX6 looks cheap ....at least compared to the Svartisen and Alaskas. And in particular, it's hard for me to get beyond the smallish looking zipper. Possible longevity issues aside, wouldn't that zipper be prone to freezing shut, necessitating a thawing out period before removing the boot from ones foot? That said, if I can find a good enough deal on a pair....
I really don't know. I've never bought a pair of boots with an integrated gaiter and I don't think I would. My gaiters don't even have zips on them, they are buckles and velcro.

I like that the Alaska and Svartisen are leather with strategic synthetic pieces rather than synthetic with leather beautification pieces. I knew nothing about Alpintex when I bought my first Alaska, but I'd surely use it again, it works every bit as good as Goretex.

The only thing I ever changed with my boots are the footbeds - tossed those out and use my customs. Svartisens are in need of a lace upgrade, but other than that and a bit of a rough edge finish on the carbon fiber cuff (which has absolutely zero impact on performance), I have no issues.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Well- zippers do eventually break...never been in the situation of trying to replace a zipper on a boot...

I would always wear a gaiter and/or overboot on a backcountry ski boot anyway- only way to keep cold and snow out of your pants- plus it offers a lot of protection for the lower leg of your pants. My ski pants- as well as my work pants- would not last a single season, if I didn't wear gaiters to protect the lower leg.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

HBS

Post by HBS » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:08 am

FWIW I was really disappointed in the BCX6's. The ankle cuff strap rides up over the boot tongue but under the gaiter and rubs weird. The ankle cuff it self wears away the boot fabric near the hinge. The boot is also super flexible which is fine for kick and glide but not great for edging.

The Rossignol BCX 10's seem much nicer and I really love my (expensive) Madshus Glittertind boots.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pm

HBS wrote:FWIW I was really disappointed in the BCX6's. The ankle cuff strap rides up over the boot tongue but under the gaiter and rubs weird. The ankle cuff it self wears away the boot fabric near the hinge. The boot is also super flexible which is fine for kick and glide but not great for edging.

The Rossignol BCX 10's seem much nicer and I really love my (expensive) Madshus Glittertind boots.
Was you BCX6's a newer or older generation? I thought they were supposed to be very stable.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm

The brown version seemed really stiff.

https://www.utemagasinet.no/Utstyr/Sko-deg

From UTE (translated) of the grey version:
Fischer show here that mountain ski boot made of plastic does not mean less support and controllability than leather shoes. This shoe let me telemark skiing down black trail on both icy and rugged surfaces with good control and without weary ankles. The shoe has stiff, exterior, high heel with good grip for ankle splint and rubberized cut edge in ample height all round. It has a rigid synthetic material of the shoe completely into the lacing, which supports without bearing sharp bends. This has sole with best stiffness of BC-shoes, and board test is performed effortlessly. No pressure points in either foot or shaft which is otherwise clear it with the greatest effective, supportive height. The shoe has sufficient width for the toes, and plus for strap which can tighten heel and ankle make rail even stiffer.
Despite my powerful adds drawn pages completely against each other above the ankle, so that the lacing loses power, and it is a little far jumps without constriction between the grate and the top of the shaft which does not provide optimum tension around the ankle. Otherwise thick padding all the way up so that the very rigid ankle rail for terminals, although the tightened hard. It has good cushioning and grip around the ankle and heel, almost like a alpinsko and pronounced "rocker edge" under ball of the foot for good ski contact and drive.
It is a few degrees colder than the other BC-shoes in freezer test, which toes was confirmed in a break of "duel-trip" with Rossignol. It is non-membrane material, but waterproof far up and seems less muggy than the others. Same shoe are also made of 75mm-binding.
Basically they say it's one of the best non-plastic boots for dh control.

Compare to the Svartisen of that era:
Svartisen BC is designed as a higher version of their famous Stetind with powerful leather, Gore-Tex membrane, sturdy cut edge all the way around. It makes the leather wears significantly less.

The shoe could benefited from a couple snøremaljer to better tightening. No plastic buckles tight there is not much that stiffens from the instep and up, and there is less support in the shoe without buckles, than in Stetind and the old test winner Fischer BCX 6. PLoS is somewhat thinner than the Stetind. Flex and torsional stiffness of the sole is strangely weaker. The heel can be moved about twice as much sideways on skis as the two competitors mentioned above. When buckles jacking tight to stiffen it up considerably, both in ankle joint and over instep - just where the laces were a little lacking. With plastic buckles tight excited it still lacks some of sole stiffness from Fischer on skavlete lead, but Crispi sitting far too tight around the instep and ankle - and without mobility to easily gangehindres.
It is easy to tighten, but the shutter button to release spennne could have been markedly better: You'd rather not start with theoretical problem solving to get the boots after a long day of hard ups and great descents. Down from Galdhøpiggen was just kneeling in telemark and make nice, steady swings in close contact with the 30 cm powder along with the new 109-ski from Fischer. You can relax more with high plastic boots down from the summit, but with a little courage and skiing technique is the joy and enthusiasm not less once you master with good skis equipment.
Svartisen BC has - strangely enough - opted for a softer sole than its ancestor, Stetind. However, we have here a new test winner in the BC class as a whole provides better support, while lacing, water resistance and cold properties exceeds Fischer their shoes. The challenger also steadfast supporters of the classic 75 mm norm, especially when many of these are made with softer sole than its BC versions.
Perhaps their complaints are not well translated but owning this boot, I can say I would not want to stiffer sole. I also don't think the cuff support could be any better without restricting movement. The instep strap does seem short. These boots made me think I have a large instep, but compared to their plastic boots, no way... I'm pretty average.

They also say they prefer the Svartisen all around to the Fischer.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for the info, MikeK.

I had a thought last night while laying in bed pondering all this. Silly, perhaps....but, a cable from a 3-pin tele binding used with the NNN BC Magnum binding. I know there is no such thing. But, I know it could be fabricated. How is not important now though. Don't know if it would work but my thought was efficiency of NNN BC but with extra stability/power when needed, ie, tour without the cable, then attach the cable when more power/control was desired. The question is: Could this be of benefit?