New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:30 pm

One thing I would be concerned with a big ski like that is tracking. I have found that with too light of a boot on a wide ski on packed conditions can create problems getting the skis to go straight to the point of the skis washing out to the side. The three pin would leave the option open to use a bigger boot. I can also see problems when crossing a side hill where you need to be on your edges. It is also possible that you won't be able to get enough edge to have an effective herringbone or sidestep.

Fishnaked

Re: New Posts All Forums:Forum Nav: Rossignol BC 125: 165 length too short for 5'-11" & 150 pound guy?

Post by Fishnaked » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks again, everyone!

Seeing a fairly rare snow event (ie, lots of it!) where I go with these skis is what fired up my thinking of making some down hill turns. However, most of the time, there's just too much exposed brush to think that much about downhill turns. That said, in being realistic, I should probably focus more on dialing in my set-up for simple in and out transportation as I originally stated. It would be nice to have a fighting chance at taking advantage at a few turns when they present themselves though. Perhaps the Crispi Svartisen NNN BC. I'm guessing they are not often on sale though..??. Perhaps the Fischer BCX6. I see them on sale already.

Either way, I should continue using my Alpina 1550 NNN BC until I can figure out which route to take, and see some end-of-season sales.

It may help if I better understood what makes the NNN BC better for touring over a 3 pin set-up. I'm guessing that pivoting the boot around the NNN BC pin takes less energy than all the action coming from the flex of the boot in a 3-pin set-up. Is that correct? Is that what makes the NNN BC binding better for touring? Boot/binding weight too, I'm sure. Anything else?

I am attracted to the versatility of the 3-pin set-up and the simplicity, price, etc of $60 Voile HD Mountaineer. But I haven't a clue how much worse that binding with a more capable boot (T4 for instance) would be for what I'd be doing most of the time: Cross country, 5 miles there and back.....with the occasional chance at some turns on the way out.

PS: Lilcliffy - My BC 125s are red. Not sure which generation that would make them.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:35 pm

I would much prefer ANY leather boot for overland travel.

The Crispis will be virtually impossible to get on sale. Tele down is the only US distributor and they'll only put them on sale when they are down to sizes no one wants. You can buy them from Europe for less (even with shipping charges) but it's a real risk if you get the wrong size. Tele down will send you another pair to try, no issues. I'd call them first before you order, if you do, and talk to one of them (two brothers). Both knowledgeable about what they sell and willing to get you what you need, so it's worth the conversation.

I wouldn't bank too much on the Alaskas going on big sales anymore either. They used to be $350 retail, but they've dropped considerably. Now likely $200 is the lowest you'll see them, and was what they would go on clearance even when their retail was higher.

The Fischers are cheap, but to me they look a bit too cheap. I love Fischers skis, but their boots don't do much for me and they don't seem to be getting much better. The main advantage is having that bit of ankle support which will help you drive the skis. It won't be like plastic shell boots, but plastic shell boots won't tour as well.

If you get a chance, go try on some plastic boots at a shop. Walk around in them. It's nothing like leather. Many people compromise on that aspect to get better dh performance. I wouldn't BS you and tell you a leather is going to ski dh like a plastic boot, and in the same sense, it's likewise for XC skiing in plastic.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:21 pm

I've never skied the nnn-bc system but I don't think the touring efficiency would make that big of a difference on your 2.5 mile ski in deep snow. You have to consider that you have one of the biggest xcd skis out there, and big skis need a bigger boot generally speaking. If you have a desire to learn how to turn, get the three pins. That way you could upgrade to a bigger boot if you wanted to get more serious about it. There are people who can ski dh well on the nnn, but conditions have to be good, and my guess is that they learned on something else.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm learning a lot here, thanks to you guys! I think I'm beginning to grasp this stuff. Maybe.

I had another thought. How about 3 pin Alaskas on a simple Voile binding...without the cable when in touring mode and with the cable when wanting to do a few simple turns? That's assuming the cable would stiffen up those particular boots enough for the low angle turns. Perhaps it was the ankle in that boot lacking support, I don't recall. (sorry if this has already been covered here. Thread is getting long and I've been reading so much)

It would be the set-up this guy has: http://highlineonline.ca/endurance-skii ... you-there/

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:35 pm

Personally, I would not. Having owned both the 75mm Alaska and the NNN version, I can tell you there is absolutely no advantage to the 75mm version (except you could potentially use the bindings with plastic). The NNN version is WAY better.

Actually, of all the leathers we've talked about here, the NNN versions are better. The modern Vibram 75mm soles are pretty flappy.

The ONE exception might be the Crispi Antarctic.

http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/boots ... icleather/

It won't have the nice ankle support of the BCX or Svartisen, but it should have better sole stiffness more like the NNN boots.

These don't have a waterproof liner, so you'll need to treat them periodically to keep them waterproof and breathable.

These would be a perfect match for a 3 pin cable binding and give you the best compromise between touring and turns for 75mm without going to plastic.

Honestly, pound for pound, the NNN-BC and a boot like the Svartisen will be more powerful than this option. The only advantage of the 75mm here is potential to use a plastic boot if you decide you want to buy one. These are also reasonably priced (between the BCX and Alaska) but you'll not have the modern "tech" features of the new boots.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 pm

The other option I forgot to mention that has been used here is the Alico March surplus boots.

They look to be about the same stiffness/construct of the Antarctic, but you can get them much cheaper. It might be a gamble because the sizing is a bit sketchy and the rubber rand on the bottom can cause issues in the boot conforming to the foot, but it might be worth it if you are strapped for cash.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-British-A ... 1784294337

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 pm

MikeK wrote: Honestly, pound for pound, the NNN-BC and a boot like the Svartisen will be more powerful than this option. The only advantage of the 75mm here is potential to use a plastic boot if you decide you want to buy one. These are also reasonably priced (between the BCX and Alaska) but you'll not have the modern "tech" features of the new boots.
Thanks. I've kept those boots in mind, reading the reviews and what you've written in other threads. They sound great! Wish they had more retailers, and were a bit less money. I'm not that strapped for cash but I do need, or at least should watch my spending. I sure won't rule them out though. Like you suggested earlier, I think a call to the US seller is in order.

Re that last sentence, I'm not sure I follow. Could you explain?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:01 pm

lowangle al wrote:I've never skied the nnn-bc system but I don't think the touring efficiency would make that big of a difference on your 2.5 mile ski in deep snow. You have to consider that you have one of the biggest xcd skis out there, and big skis need a bigger boot generally speaking. If you have a desire to learn how to turn, get the three pins. That way you could upgrade to a bigger boot if you wanted to get more serious about it. There are people who can ski dh well on the nnn, but conditions have to be good, and my guess is that they learned on something else.
I agree with what Al is saying, from my personal experience, which is a bit limited from the XCD side of things. My ability to turn XCD skis comes from alpine skiing and telemarking. I ski a good sized XCD ski, the S-bound 112. I ski them with a T-4, which is my original boot I purchased. Now when I am away from the resort, which has been difficult as winter has been lean on snow near home, I ski this boot.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-British-A ... 1784294337

This boot is a bit heavy, but for me it flexes easy at the ball of the foot, while being torsionally really rigid for edging. I really like the range of movement in my ankles. They are much nicer to K&G in over a T-4, yet have all the power I need to turn those 112's in soft snow. I need the T-4's to ski the resort boilerplate on those skis. The best part about these Alico boots are they are only about $75 shipped from England. A word of caution, is getting the fit right. There was another man whom posted this year. I think his boots had too much volume in the toe box. The bottom line, was he had bad toe pinch, and I believe the boots were just unskiable for him. I have had just the opposite experience and really like mine.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Fishnaked wrote:
MikeK wrote: Honestly, pound for pound, the NNN-BC and a boot like the Svartisen will be more powerful than this option. The only advantage of the 75mm here is potential to use a plastic boot if you decide you want to buy one. These are also reasonably priced (between the BCX and Alaska) but you'll not have the modern "tech" features of the new boots.
Thanks. I've kept those boots in mind, reading the reviews and what you've written in other threads. They sound great! Wish they had more retailers, and were a bit less money. I'm not that strapped for cash but I do need, or at least should watch my spending. I sure won't rule them out though. Like you suggested earlier, I think a call to the US seller is in order.

Re that last sentence, I'm not sure I follow. Could you explain?
I was referring to the Antarctic I linked above (different than the Svartisen). By lacking tech I mean they are an old-school Norwegian welted mountaineering style boot without any kind of waterproof/breathable liner, exoskeleton, molded sole, etc...