Problems turning Fischer S‑Bound skis, remount bindings?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Problems turning Fischer S‑Bound skis, remount bindings?

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Cannatonic wrote: Your legs are still trying to make alpine turns,
Muscle-memory and habits are a BIG deal in my experience. I have to say that I think that there are few skills that work on powerful "downhill" gear, that work on traditional Nordic tech.

I learned to "telemark" on pretty powerful gear in the mid-1990s. Previous to that, my Nordic skills were strictly xcountry- and, my down-hill skills were firmly rooted in Alpine techniques. When I began trying to seriously down-hill ski on XC tech, I was dismayed that I continuously failed to overpower my skis- this initially lead to me buying my T4s. I love the freedom and performance of light flexible XC boots in the backcountry- therefore, I was determined to learn how to handle BC-XC gear on significant slopes. It takes time, determination, and a lot of strength and balance- but, it is worth it in my experience.

Skills that work on traditional Nordic tech (i.e. soft, flexible boots) are easily transferable to powerful "Telemark" - I am not convinced that it works the other way round- at least not in my limited experience...but perhaps I am more a creature of habit than most...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:39 pm

nemesis256 wrote:I was just in there feeling a couple other boots, thinking about whether or not I made the wrong decision, and I still can't decide.
I don't think you have made the wrong decision. Even if you decide to get a more powerful boot- my prediction is that you will want a lighter more flexible boot for more mellow terrain.
They had the BCX 875, which feels a little stiffer, but I'm not sure it would make a big difference. That boot also isn't on Fischer's website, so I suspect it's been discontinued.
This is my understanding.
Ragged Mountain also had a light plastic boot, Garmont Excursion I think, and that would probably work well, but from feeling the boot, I think kicking and gliding would be compromised.
Well- the Excursion is even softer and more flexible than the T4. BUT- IMHO- it is not a XC boot. I only use a boot as powerful as the Excursion/T4 when either downhill becomes the limiting factor of a tour- OR, it is the focus of my tour (i.e. "touring for turns").
You're the second person here to say that my boots are under powered for the ski. What type of boot would you guys pair the skis with? Would a leather boot like you mentioned be the best, or are there other options?
I think the boot you chose is excellent- especially if it fits your foot properly. Just give it some time and patience. HERE''S THE REAL IRONY FOR ME- if you jump the gun and run out and buy a more powerful boot- you may never get more comfortable with a lighter boot on the down-hill...At least this is my limited experience...I literally had to put my T4s in box, in the closet to figure it out- but again I am a weirdo! :oops:

HOWEVER- if you really are using this ski on gently terrain- don't give up on the lighter more flexible boots- you really don't need any more power than that in this context!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 pm

The only boot you really "need" for those skis:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=381

I don't use cables. Just plain 3 pins. Learn telemark. All you need for relatively quick k+g, trailbreaking and meadow skipping.

It's similar to the BCX875 but I think much nicer.

Can you use more, or less... sure... but that boot will give that ski the best balance between XC and DH performance.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:17 pm

For further reference to Mike's post, I use Antarctics, no problem. It's about the feeeeeel man. You're learning something new, it's not the skiing you know. I avoid using my T4s on the 98s.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Yeah - no plastic for me with these skis... not that you couldn't, but they are a lot of fun with leather. WTBS, I never liked them with my Alaska leathers, which were a bit too soft IMO. I could see skiing them with the Antarctic as well... you'd just be trading off some upper support for a bit more sole stiffness.

I've never tried the BCX675. It seems like it has a nice, stiff sole, but the upper is bit more like the Alaska. I fondled one once. I think the cuff/buckles seem a lot more effective on the Svartisen.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 am

MikeK wrote: I've never tried the BCX675. It seems like it has a nice, stiff sole, but the upper is bit more like the Alaska. I fondled one once. I think the cuff/buckles seem a lot more effective on the Svartisen.
This depends on which generation of the Fischer BCX6 we are talking about...Nemesis- are your BCX6s current? What are the construction and lacing like?

My Fischer BCX6 is two-generations old (grey in color)- it laces clear to the top, and has the power strap. It is a very powerful XC boot- significantly more powerful than my Alpina Alaska. I have never tried the Svartisen so I cannot compare...

The last generation Fischer BCX6 (brown) laces to the top of the instep and then has an internal velcro strap. This boot is not as powerful as mine.

I have not examined the current Fischer BCX6- it at least appears to be a bit of a redesign- and it has replaced the BCX8 as Fischer's premier XCD boot.

Regardless I would expect the Fischer BCX6 to be more powerful than a boot like the Alaska. My local shop has the current Fischer BCX5- I have tried it on- it is very similar to the Alaska in terms of above-ankle power.

Despite having never tried either the Svartisen, or the current Fischer BCX6- I would expect them to be much closer in terms of power, than to a boot like the Alaska. I doubt that the Svartisen is a big step up in power compared to the Fischer BCX6....

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 am

Crispi Svartisen or Alico Double are other options for boots. Crispi Antarctic has the beefier 75mm sole but doesn't have the power strap on the shin, they're not really enough to crank turns on a larger ski either. Also several people here have ordered the Alico "Ski March" surplus boot from ebay, it's only about $80.

The Fischer BCX6 didn't fit my foot well, the retention system doesn't match my foot, maybe if I got a better fit I would like them more.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:13 am

Woodserson wrote:I avoid using my T4s on the 98s.
I had to bury mine in my closet.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 am

The ones I handled were the brown version of last year or the year before. It looks like they are black again now:

http://www.ems.com/fischer-bcx-675-ski- ... oCyhTw_wcB

I would point to the Scandi market as the guide as Fischer and Crispi are main competitors there. The Svartisen is the best selling leather boot there for fjellskiing, the T4 is the best selling BC/touring plastic at Sport Oslo.

I don't believe sole stiffness to be everything. It is my opinion that the boot needs to be well balanced to get the most turning performance. The cuff is significantly better on the Crispi. The sole has a natural flex for K+G as well.

The fact is I love my NNN Alaska, but the upper floppiness really does show itself when pushed. The Svartisen is a ton more stable.

I really believe it is more about your skiing technique. If you like the skis to really follow your knees, you will find the cuff support more natural feeling. Even though my NNN boots are much more stiff in the sole, I never really feel it while skiing my 98s with the 75mm Svartisen. In very heavy, wet snows I can feel the duckbill twisting a bit, but I don't feel like I cannot control it. In all other cases it feels very natural and well-controlled.

None of these leathers are going to give you the stiffness to hockey stop on heavy snow. You need to use a more subtle technique and guide your skis back uphill 8-)

nemesis256

Post by nemesis256 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:22 pm

lilcliffy wrote:This depends on which generation of the Fischer BCX6 we are talking about...Nemesis- are your BCX6s current?
Yes they are, the shop had to order them for me because they didn't have my size.

Went out this morning on groomed XC trails to practice telemark technique (I got that book that was mentioned earlier). Definitely difficult balancing in that position, feel like I don't have enough weight on the back foot. The conditions didn't help, it was frozen granular, and hadn't been groomed yet since yesterday's tracks. I mostly just went up and down switching feet. Tried turning a bit telemark style but it was not productive. The few times I did try turning standing up, I once lost some control and the skis rotated 90 degrees to go sideways down the hill. Again the tails whipping around by themselves, like I described in my original post.