Problems turning Fischer S‑Bound skis, remount bindings?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Problems turning Fischer S‑Bound skis, remount bindings?

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 am

Flexing your ankles and driving your knees forward will help get more pressure on your ski tips. This may help give you that alpine turn feel with the light boots, it also adds stability. I'd hold off on the remount.

I also think that the T4 would be a good choice for those skis especially if you want to get the most out of your turns.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm

I ski an S-112 and T-4's. I also really like my Alico Ski March boots available still from GI Joe Army Surplus in the UK. Log onto their Ebay store, the boots are less than $100 shipped. They cross country much better than the T-4's. I believe I can turn my S-112's better with my Alico boots than my T-4 boots, perhaps that is not true. The fact is the turns come out quite similar. The Alico is much easier to kick and glide. If my weight was not centered on my skis, I probably would find the leather boot to be more difficult to turn. The boot is heavy, the sole is very stiff torsionally, however it is very easy to flex onto the ball of my foot and turn my rear ski, even without cables in soft snow.
I do not always like my turns either, so don't think I am being critical. It is all about technique. While I have been trumpeting my $100 Alico boots, you might be better in that T-4. I think there are two different schools of thought on this forum. One thought is that you can only learn to ski light gear, by immersing yourself in light gear skiing. I and others think that turning light gear is more of a challenge, and it is helpful to know how to telemark with heavier gear. After you have the feel for the turn in heavier gear, you can refine you technique to lighter gear. There are also some that would say there is nothing light about my Alico leathers, and I still have no knowledge of light gear :lol:
Let me say finally, it is about having fun sliding on snow. With this gear you get to slide on snow off in the woods, away from the crowds. I am pretty sure I have had a couple of bluejays laugh at bad technique, but other than that, it's just fun skiing in the woods and enjoying some peace and solitude.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:59 am

You are a poet Bob.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I agree fisheater. I preferred the way my skinniest skis worked with leather boots than plactic.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am

I may be alone in this opinion, but I think one of the worst places to evaluate or get used to a backcountry ski is the backcountry. At least where I ski when I'm in the BC I'm always dealing with some sort of environmental challenge; trees, roots, rocks, whatever. I'm almost never making pure carved, pretty turns. When I get a new pair of skis I really like going to a small local rope-tow size hill and just spend the whole day making turns with the new skis. When I first switched to tele turns I spent the whole first year skiing green and blue trails on my 10th Mountain Tours with leathers and pins. I was also teaching my young one so it worked well that way. Doing this helps me figure the ski out; does my default technique work well for the quick turns I'll need in trees, can I make nice long carves, how does it feel if I weight mostly the back ski or the lead ski. The waxless skis make a weird sound on the groomed of course but when I then take the gear into the woods I'm a lot more confident. I'll usually bring 2 pairs of boots when II do this, my Asolos and my Excursions just to see if they feel radically different. Also since you use 3pcs like I do I'll spend an hour with the cables on to see how that feels too, even though I never actually use them. This approach is also good for tuning up your technique, I know sometimes if I'm skiing mostly powder in the BC I get lazy in my turning, a couple hours on the groomed every now and then has some benefits....

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:01 am

It's all about repetition Stormy. When you ski the same hill over and over you can control the variables of gravity, and snow conditions letting you concentrate on technique and your equipment. I like your approach.