XCD/Resorts

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GLB

XCD/Resorts

Post by GLB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 am

Last night my friend invited me to go skiing at the near by resort (Alyeska) and it got me thinking about getting a setup for that. I have been wanting to buy some t4s anyway and would like to have a set of skis that I could do a little "Lift Served" skiing. The closet skis I have now are the Epochs. If you were to buy skis that that could handle some resort skiing that would work well with the t4s what would you get??
Thanks
Greg

MikeK

Re: XCD/Resorts

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am

This may help: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1053

I had the same inquiry, wound up buying a pair of old Tua Heliums, some Excursions and Voile 3 Pin HW binding.

I had some issues with the boots, so I wound up getting a pair of T2, which seem to fit me better, but I'll likely still ski this binding and ski a bit for lift served. I think I will retire it to XCD with leathers (I happen to have a set of skins that will fit them perfect) because the T2 is a pretty serious boot for a ski like this and get something more modern for lift served.

Anyway... hope that thread helps your search. Lots of good suggestions for T4/Excursion skis.

GLB

Post by GLB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks for that. The G3 Stinger was mentioned and I can get them for a good price. 177cm or 185 cm? 5ft 9" 180lbs

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:56 am

GLB I would go to the two Play it Again Sports and the Hoarding Marmot(used gear store) in Anchorage to see what they have. I stop in regularly and there is a lot of gear to choose from that would work for you. You can usually find something mounted that is cheaper than what you would pay for the bindings alone. There is a lot of stuff on Craigs List too, but it is usually higher priced.

GLB

Post by GLB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks al, I live in Seward and will have to make a trip up there to take a look. I have been out of this for so long I am not sure what I am looking for. But I have been making up for lost time with new gear and getting out for some turing and getting in a few turns this year.
Greg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 pm

GLB wrote: I live in Seward
Maybe we can meet at Turnagain Pass sometime, or even Manitoba, I've never skied it. I am pretty free during the week, and wouldn't mind heading South when conditions are good.

GLB

Post by GLB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 pm

I have only been there once( Turnigan Pass) many years ago. I went to a 3 day avalanche training school. We skied in but didn't do a lot on skis when we got there. Skiing out was fun.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:07 pm

FWIW, I sometimes go to Alyeska and ski the green runs on light, narrow, metal edged XCd skis for turning practice. All they require is a leash, and they accept a piece of paracord tied to binding and boot as a leash. Pretty lax rules for the greens. With Epochs, you could probably have fun on the blue runs. There's also a lot of fun, flat to low angle xc touring in the valley.

GLB

Post by GLB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks anrothar, I will probably do just that and use my Epochs and stay on the green and blues. I do have a heavy double leather boot (Alicos) that will work but plan to get some t4s. Any you know who in ANC would carry them for me to try on?? I was issued a pair many years ago when I was teaching for the Army but not sure on the size. I wear a 9.5 boot US and was thinking 27.5??
Greg

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm

AMH or REI. They're listed as in stock in various sizes at REI and I've seen them in the past at AMH.