K2 Wayback 88 for Resort Ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GLB

K2 Wayback 88 for Resort Ski

Post by GLB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:18 am

Thoughts on this for part time resort skiing. Also what would you drive it with?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: K2 Wayback 88 for Resort Ski

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm not familiar with that ski other than I think it is a back country ski. If the 88 is the waist width I think they would be fine, especially if you are skiing off trail at Alyeska.

GLB

Post by GLB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 pm

They are considered a BC ski maybe a do it all. 88 is the waist. The widest ski I have ever skied was in the low 70s at the waist. I am not sure what it would take to drive this ski. I want to buy one hard boot (T4s) for a do it all but not sure if it will work with this type of ski.

mainer

Post by mainer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:43 pm

T4s or T2s would both be good boots with that ski, but you'd get a little more drive out of the T2. Any of the lighter tele bindings like Targas, Switchbacks/hardwires, or Hammerheads would be a good match.

The ski should be a reasonable resort/touring combination ski. I think they have some rocker in the front and are a nice light construction. K2s have always been some of, what I consider to be, the smoothest skiing and friendliest skis.

GLB

Post by GLB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:36 pm

I have some Rotefella Chiles I would like to switch out from another set of skis. Will it work? Maybe add the 10mm riser that came with the bindings??

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:42 pm

I have chili binding on a similar size ski and they work fine for me with leather or plastic boots.

GLB

Post by GLB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks, are you using the riser or did you mount them flat?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:39 am

Here's a link to a good review: http://www.earnyourturns.com/6661/revie ... back-skis/

I have no experience with the Wayback, but I've been on K2's for like 15 years or so - the old red Piste Stinx, the Super Stinx, and then (still) the World Piste's. All have skied really well for me. If I'm not mistaken, the Wayback's are the updated version of the World's. And those are an excellent all round ski; I've skied everything from resort, to side country, to back country on them, in pretty much every condition. Mostly here in Vermont, but I also took them out to the Wasatch one year. They never let me down.

The one thing about the World's is they were really heavy, over 8 lbs. per pair. The Waybacks are less than 7. For me, they'd be sweet, though they would likely chatter on boilerplate, and maybe get pushed around a little in heavy crud. But it doesn't sound like you're looking to rip on them, so it should not be an issue (My World's, by the way, do fine on these conditions too, as said). K2's also tend to run a little on the soft side, which is why big guys who like to charge hard max them out a bit.

All in all, sounds like they'll be just fine for you. You'd get more out of them with a T2 than a T4, but it's a matter, again, of what you want of them. As for the riser, I always use 'em on resort skis, but they're not a necessity by any means. I also like a "neutral" binding, my favorite being the BD 03's. I'd guess the Chili's would work for you, given your boot preferences.

Good luck and happy turns.