"The Bleeding Edge" of boot progress...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anrothar

Re: "The Bleeding Edge" of boot progress...

Post by anrothar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 pm

anemic wrote:Again I love what you've done. You are the Hoji of tele! I might pooch some old shells and give'r a go with a hot knife. How do we affix the lace cleats ? I admire simple design.

Do you ski with a gaiter overboot?
Glue in waterproof fabric. Cyanoacrylate is the best glue for Pebax. Without the fabric added, snow definitely accumulates to the point of getting annoying after 4 hours or so.

Use a hole saw to drill out the metatarsal area, and make sure the bottom of the drill out is 1/2"/12mm up from the footbed, so that you have some material to glue the fabric to. I remove the rest with metal snips and hand saws, clean up with files and scrapers.

The lace cleats(lace hooks) can be bought on amazon. The ones I used attach with rivets, which were a pain to hammer into place. In the future, I would probably use screw posts with loctite.
Last edited by anrothar on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:43 am

Thank you for sharing anrothar! You are a great inspiration for all of us!

nebcskier

Post by nebcskier » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am

I have some old Scarpa Lazer AT boots. Never even considered they could be converted to some Teleboots via a DYI project. Hmmm!!! You all got me thinking.
image1.jpeg

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:58 pm

nebcskier wrote:I have some old Scarpa Lazer AT boots. Never even considered they could be converted to some Teleboots via a DYI project. Hmmm!!! You all got me thinking.

Just be aware that if you're going to use them for turns your going to want to buy or make a TTS system.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 am

anrothar wrote:...
Impressive!

Can you carve a duckbill out of a normal AT boot? Is it possible? How did you fit those into the the 3 pin?
Last edited by merak on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:54 am

The irony is that I bought Scarpa T4 with the intention to wipe the duckbill off and use them as regular AT boots. Then came the idea of buying that cheap Voile 3 pin to see how it goes. From there it was the start of a madness :lol:

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm not using them with 3 pin, merak. I'm using just the AT toe pieces.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Late to the Party i know but....

Any updates on the major boot hacking?

How are they holding up? Do they work as hoped?

i was thinking about doing something similar for some Extreme xcd here in scenic central NH.

Cheers

tourmikes

Post by tourmikes » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:36 am

anrothar wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 pm
Photos of both, before gluing in fabric. I've toured pretty extensively with both and prefer the lace up/no cuff ones for XCd.

Forefoot flex on the lace ups. These were Dynafit Mercury had on close out.
DSCF4636.JPG

Closer view.
DSCF4633.JPG

My first attempt at boots of this style, Scarpa Magic. Bought them used locally on Craigslist. Slightly small shells, so I can really only use my Koflach Degre liners in them.
11117512_10205339597866739_1044233772_n.jpg

11076182_10205287748730543_6533443621155936562_n.jpg
Curious if anyone has tried this on 75mm boots? I’ve got some old t2s laying around! question is whether to keep the top buckle or not and how much to chop down from the cuff.

Does anyone have the weight and other accurate measurements for a size 27 denali and how does it compare to other potential liners? I would also have a an old garmont supercomp boot like this that could adapt itself well to this if i get rid of the leather + foam inner!
image.jpg

captainswallowtail

Post by captainswallowtail » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Cool..
I frankenbooted a pair of Scarpa F3's to have more toe volume and flex - mostly volume for cold...
I would not recommend trying this again and would have done a bunch of things differently but it evolved this way.
Cut out the entire front and added a bridge to give the entire shell more width. Drilled holes for the awl thread and used heavy leather and glue, which I then punched out later, fabric added to close up the big gap and an overboot.

Warm and tons of volume, too much actually. High volume intuition liner - Great for classic skiing but they lost a lot of torsional stiffness - edging and downhill control is not as good with the plastic bellows.