3-pin limit

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TomH

Re: 3-pin limit

Post by TomH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 pm

dnt_upton wrote:
merak wrote:What about this model of Scarpa T2? Does it worth considering? I have an offer on some local site. I mean: are they much stiffer then the T4's?
I believe that is the last version of the T2 before the puke green T2 Ecos came out. It's a comfortable, easy to flex boot. It's probably not much stiffer than the T4s, but it has a higher cuff and, in my view, is much better boot -- more comfortable and beefier relative to the T4.
The T2X's were around in between that vintage of T2 and the T2eco. Those t2's are nice, but can be subject to rocker launch for lighter folks (depending on the binding set-up) when the soles rocker out a bit too. My wife has the women's T2 of that vinatage, and her only complaint is that she can't operate the walk/ski switch as she can't get the little wire bail out of the slot or back in. It's pretty damn tough for me to operate them as well, but maybe I just haven't cycled the bail in and out enough to break it in..

frickus

Post by frickus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 pm

TomH wrote:My wife has the women's T2 of that vinatage, and her only complaint is that she can't operate the walk/ski switch as she can't get the little wire bail out of the slot or back in. It's pretty damn tough for me to operate them as well, but maybe I just haven't cycled the bail in and out enough to break it in..
I agree, the walk mode clip on the T2s is a PITA.

merak

Post by merak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 am

Thanks guys. I'll wait for the guy to lower the price. Nobody will buy them anyway :lol:

A couple of years ago I've installed some voile 3 pin's on a pair of blizzard free cross, without risers like the green ones in the images. Unfortunatelly I made some mistakes which in the end lead to not being able to mount the bindings anymore because of so many holes.
As I've found this chili's recently an idea came to me to try again with the risers this time, the skis being in pretty good condition despite the fact that I've abandoned them to the elements... and here they are!
DSCN7109.JPG
More then this: with the soft cables from Voile I found out that the binding acts very close to a free pivot binding with the advantage of weight on my side. Not having those 3 pins, the duckbill slips a bit and permit a wider movement. I still have to test them on real slopes though.

It's nice to see the hole compatibility between Voile and Rotefella. I can very easily mount the 3 pin on rottefella's risers.
The next task will be to manufacture a pair of risers and my arsenal contains two pairs of decent skis now.
two.
DSCN7103.JPG
The conclusion: don't throw away anything or at least keep them in a recycle bin for an year or
DSCN6824.JPG
DSCN6787.JPG
DSCN6832.JPG

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:03 pm

I took an old pair of Tua Sumos out yesterday with chili bindings and leather boots and I give the bindings two thumbs up for the up and down. I'm not sure but the springs on the origional heel throws may be stiffer than the Voiles.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Nice photos BTW, keep them coming.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 pm

TomH wrote:The T2X's were around in between that vintage of T2 and the T2eco.
Yes, forgot about that. Getting old, I guess.
merak wrote:More then this: with the soft cables from Voile I found out that the binding acts very close to a free pivot binding with the advantage of weight on my side. Not having those 3 pins, the duckbill slips a bit and permit a wider movement. I still have to test them on real slopes though.
Nice job mixing/matching, though yeah, that type of cable is really meant for 3 pins, or you get that slop.

And the free pivot provides a very noticeable gain in efficiency on the way up, even compared to simple 3 pins.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Merak, if your duckbill is slipping back in the toe box when you kick or if the duckbill moves when you move your heel side to side the cables are too loose, or in your case those Voile springs may not have enough tension.

merak

Post by merak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 pm

lowangle al wrote:Merak, if your duckbill is slipping back in the toe box when you kick or if the duckbill moves when you move your heel side to side the cables are too loose, or in your case those Voile springs may not have enough tension.

Correct. I forgot to mention that I left them open when walking and then close when downhill. I will do some trip today or tomorrow and also take the original, harder cables with me...in case i need them... see how it goes

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 pm

merak wrote:Correct. I forgot to mention that I left them open when walking and then close when downhill. I will do some trip today or tomorrow and also take the original, harder cables with me...in case i need them... see how it goes
Be careful that you don't loose a ski with that buckle open. It looks like it could be a long way down to recover a runaway ski where you are.

merak

Post by merak » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 am

4 hours of continuous effort for what?... another 2.5 hours of struggle to get back :lol:
Walking in these T4's is killing my feet but I have no choice... the terrain is demanding.
The snow is melting fast bellow 1500 m. I had no problems with the binding and the way I use it. It really behaved like a free pivot. I put the cables like this:
DSCN7144.JPG
I don't have very nice slopes, just steep, narrow, bushy ... you name it stuf
Here are some pics I took today:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bgh65tbkn9xh ... 7hu4a?dl=0

In the end I ended up with this:
DSCN7144.JPG
At least they got me back home. :lol:
DSCN7124.JPG
DSCN7123.JPG
DSCN7145.JPG