Fischer steel light wax ski 47-44-46

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Fischer steel light wax ski 47-44-46

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 pm

I wasn't aware that they made a ski like this. Full metal edge with a stiff camber for touring, designed for off trail skiing and good for making turns. (it didn't say what kind of turns) I think they were skiing them with a xc skating boot and binding.

I stumbled upon it on the Alaska back country cross country skiing website and they were using them for crust skiing. They were also using them for what they called "bare ice skiing" done on frozen lakes that don't have snow on them. One guy said he got 100km in during the daylight hours of one day. I don't know when it was written but there were only 18 pairs sold in the US that year with 13 of them going to the same ski club.

It looked like a fun ski to me to take to the groomed xc trails and get in some turns. It seems like it would be a good match with light nnn-bc boots.

anrothar

Re: Fischer steel light wax ski 47-44-46

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:58 pm

They also have/had a Powerlite model that is slightly wider/curvier: 51-46-49

https://www.oslosportslager.no/produkt/ ... 35724.aspx

Asnes makes a Mountain Race 46 now as well that would fit the bill: 54-46-50

http://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/mountain-race-46/

The 3/4 metal edges on my MT Race 48 help a lot for turning on such a skinny ski, since they allow the tips to flex more.
Last edited by anrothar on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Dig through this thread, it's got some great info: viewtopic.php?t=929

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:49 am

lowangle al wrote:I
It looked like a fun ski to me to take to the groomed xc trails and get in some turns. It seems like it would be a good match with light nnn-bc boots.
You don't need to go THAT light for NNN-BC to work...

But I'm surprised you wouldn't use these with your T2 :o

Honestly Al, I'm surprised you aren't looking into a ski like the Nansen or Gamme for something like this. Gamme might be a little better for skating and groomed XC, but either of those skis should be a lot more capable for making turns. Either would be perfect for NNN-BC.

And with what Gareth (lilcliffy) has reported with the skins - I would get a narrow mohair for them and never look back (for those damp days ;)).

Personally I just don't see those ultra-skinnies as any good for anything but race style XC, nttatwwt.

PS - check this:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 313#p17282

I'm half tempted to ditch my Ingstads (haven't even mounted them yet) and buy a Nansen. Nordic Rocker baby! That shit works and the Ingstad doesn't have it.

Not sure what the Gamme has, but it claims to have some sort of rocker. Maybe Cannatonic can share, he has a pair?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 pm

MikeK wrote:You don't need to go THAT light for NNN-BC to work...
This is true.
MikeK wrote:But I'm surprised you wouldn't use these with your T2
T2s suck ;)
MikeK wrote:Personally I just don't see those ultra-skinnies as any good for anything but race style XC, nttatwwt.
My niche for these skis would be for groomed trails. There is a fantastic groomed trail system 2 miles from my house that I never use. A ski like this might motivate me to use them more since I can enjoy the K&G and make secure precise turns. I hit these trails last week with some old epoke 900s 55-45-50 with xc boots and it was a lot of fun. The skis turned great but the only thing missing was edge control on the very hard surface.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Ask Johnny about those Skogs he bought. Same ski as the Nansen but with a bit less camber stiffness for a lighter skier (PS buy a Nansen for yourself and a Skog for your wife ;))

Technically, they shouldn't fit in groomed tracks, but I've heard otherwise.

You might even find yourself using them in the BC when the snow is firmer or in the spring...

This is that sub-10 lbs setup you've been dreaming of...

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm not buyin, just looking. But if I were I would go to the skinny extreme as I have all other bases covered.
MikeK wrote:This is that sub-10 lbs setup you've been dreaming of...
That's never been my dream for the bc. I have no desire to go to a boot lighter than my old school leathers ( except maybe a T4)and that puts me over 10 lbs.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:22 pm

If you ever get back to PA, give me a holler - I'll see if I can drive out for a weekend and meet up with you (depends on what part of PA - I'm 5 hours from Pittsburgh). I think you'll fit my Svartisen BC and I'll let you try them. I think you'll be surprised at how "powerful" they are compared to those old leathers. And probably about a pound lighter too.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:37 pm

My place is in NE Pa. by Scranton off Rt. 81 but I would drive North to meet you.

The Svartisen does look like the boot that comes closest to what I'm skiing now. Are yours 3 pin?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:42 pm

lowangle al wrote:My place is in NE Pa. by Scranton off Rt. 81 but I would drive North to meet you.

The Svartisen does look like the boot that comes closest to what I'm skiing now. Are yours 3 pin?
OK - that's far for me, but we could meet in the middle somewhere. I was hoping you were NW near Allegheny because they get decent lake effect from Erie. The best option for consistent snow is western Adirondacks/Black River Valley/Tug Hill. Looks like about 3 hours north of Scranton via 81.

I have a 3 pin model and a NNN-BC model. You can try both, but the NNN-BC is a much stiffer boot. It might be something you'd be interested in for the light, narrow skis.