Kom camber question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Kom camber question

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 am

What's the camber like on the Kom's? Big issue for me, as I weigh in at 125 lbs. Really don't like a BC ski with "nordic" camber; I lose grip on the uphills, and it makes for strange turning behavior. I'm looking at the 162's.
As a comparison, I find the 179 Boundless has a little too much camber for my taste (and a bit stiffer flex than I like), the Annums are about right.
Your experience with the Kom's, regarding camber?

(P.S.: I added this post at the end of the 8 page Kom thread, but figure it'll get noticed quicker here)

MikeK

Re: Kom camber question

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 am

Hey, you might get a quicker response if you pm LoFi. He surely has a pair and the pm should notify him through his email. He's also really good about comparing skis, so if you are lucky, he might make you a video or something else ;) He did one already comparing the tip flex (KOM is way stiffer than Annum/Guide).

The easiest way to do this is to go back to the other thread, find a post from him and click on the little balloon next "Contact:" under his name/avatar. That will open a message box to send a pm to him.

Good luck!

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 am

phoenix wrote:What's the camber like on the Kom's? Big issue for me, as I weigh in at 125 lbs. Really don't like a BC ski with "nordic" camber; I lose grip on the uphills, and it makes for strange turning behavior. I'm looking at the 162's.
As a comparison, I find the 179 Boundless has a little too much camber for my taste (and a bit stiffer flex than I like), the Annums are about right.
Your experience with the Kom's, regarding camber?

(P.S.: I added this post at the end of the 8 page Kom thread, but figure it'll get noticed quicker here)

The Koms do seem to have a little something to them. Maybe similar camber to the Guides/Annums, but far less than 10th Mtn/Epochs. They grip better than the Guides for me at 175lbs and even were climb-able and turnable by my 85lb 12 year old daughter.

I'll take a look at them later today and let you know if I notice anything else with the skis in hand.

Try contacting Altai. They definitely have a particular concept in mind with the Kom.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Lo-Fi and MikeK, thank you both for the help.
I did email Nils, but haven't heard from him yet, so thought I'd ask here. The reference to the Annum is really helpful, my wife skis those. And I do have a few pounds more than your daughter, Lo-Fi, so it sounds like they'd be fine.
By the way, I just sent you a PM, but it's answered here.
Cheers guys.

chancer

Post by chancer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I wrote a quick Kom review on Telemark east. I bought these skis for my wife who is about 125 lbs, she is skiing a 150 Kom and really digs it. She climbs much better than I do in my 185 Annums (I weight in about 180 with all gear on). Not sure how the 162 would due, but I bet you would climb/turn well still. Camber seems flatter on the Kom, but Annum definitely softer. Hope this helps!
Chancer