Kaaikop, february 13th 2017

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Bri7

Kaaikop, february 13th 2017

Post by Bri7 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:06 pm

I hesitated a long time, ok maybe not that long, but I hesitated anyway before I wrote these lines. Everyone or almost who is at the slightest fact and gestures off-piste skiing knows Kaaikop. This massive mountain, the third highest peak in the Laurentians with a summit at 830 meters above sea level, has an impressive drop of about 400 meters. Covered mainly with hardwoods, the skiing potential of this mountain is impressive. When I went to Ski the Reserve last Saturday, I was stopped by for the first time at the "base de plein air l'Interval" to inform me about the practice of off-piste skiing on the mountain. I was pleasantly surprised that this practice was known and legal on this mountain. For the modest amount of $10, you have access to all of the cross-country ski trails, snowshoe trails and the sparse slopes of this majestic mountain. After a few minutes of exchange with the lady at the reception, I had enough information to give it a try.

I know that in writing this text I will probably make a few enemies who will accuse me of having unveiled a place kept secret by most of the locals. On the other hand, many will probably be delighted to discover a new place to practice their favorite sport. From my side here is how I see things. The cooperative that keeps the place tries as best they can to maintain the place with 10$ access fees ... It is a very large territory to maintain and the relative expenses to ensure the perenniality of such a place must be expensive. A little help to make the place known could surely not harm them.I'm really into off-piste skiing, and I find that the number of places to practice it legally in Quebec, especially near Montreal too restricted. Don't get me wrong, I like powder skiing and I like to ski a place several days after a storm and have something to shred. After my visit today, I am not too worried about Kaaikop ... With the all of the territory and the skiable potential of the mountain the ski lines are practically endless. Skiers with a certain level of skill can go down practically without any special arrangements.

According to the gossips, some areas have been developed in the past. We looked at these areas in vain. Being the first visitors following the Sunday night storm, there was no trace to guide us. The mountain is full of snow, the summit has an impressive base of 1m60 without forcing. Softwoods are rather rare and are found only at the top. The steepness of the area we attacked varies from medium to low. Some sections require a bit of cross-country skiing to allow us to link turns. Being on my telemark, it is a lesser evil; My friends in splitboard might have liked less. All in all, this is my nicest ski day north of the St. Lawrence river this year. The kingdom of Kaaikop makes me think strangely, both in elevation and type of forest to what is found in the Eastern Townships.

Here the video of the day:

MikeK

Re: Kaaikop, february 13th 2017

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 am

Nobody reads this forum... you'll be fine.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:18 am

D'après toi MA, aurais-tu pu te débrouiller avec tes Annum? La neige est-elle trop profonde?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am

Sans problème Rod. Je ne connaissais pas l'endroit et j'étais incertain quand au dégré d'inclinaison et qualité de la neige (croute de verglas de la semiane dernière). Mais les Anums auraient descendu sans probleme...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 pm

It looks like you get good snow where you are Bri, it would be a shame to keep it all to yourself. I hope you don't get any flack over it. You are doing a good job of promoting our sport in your area. The Versant Reserve from your last video is one of the last places promoting telemark that I know of, offering lessons and rentals. It would be a shame to have it disappear. Your terrain combined with good snow cover make it a perfect spot for tele. Keep up the good work.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 pm

How do you know if there is a tele-skier in your video? They'll post it in the credits ;)

Man that's a nice place...

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 pm

MikeK wrote:How do you know if there is a tele-skier in your video? They'll post it in the credits ;)

Man that's a nice place...

Hahaha good one Mike. Hopefully one day you'll appear in the credits :P

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 pm

I want to be credited as a XC skier please ;)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:43 am

Bri7 wrote:Hahaha good one Mike. Hopefully one day you'll appear in the credits
Make sure he wears a helmet, he has a family to feed and those tree look like they would hurt. ;) :lol:

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I may be worth more dead than alive.

I'll have to check my life insurance policy on death by Birch tree...