Farmer's Backyard

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Farmer's Backyard

Post by anemic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:03 pm

In the Whites

YouTube just suggested I watch this glorious video and I'm glad I did!! I think you all will enjoy it also.

It pains me that I have no snow at home in Grand Rapids...thanks for the videos from those who have it and share it with the rest of us!

EDIT:
Forgive me, I did not realize this skier seems to prefer to use AT equipment...this explains why he never drops a knee. I was fooled. So...it's still cool that he identifies with Nordic Backcountry, despite the lack of tele. Looking at some of his other videos he seems to be affiliated with Fischer and is on some very snazzy new lite AT boots.
Call it Nordic Freeride

anrothar

Re: Farmer's Backyard

Post by anrothar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Those were NNNBC bindings and boots, not AT. Awesome video! Looks like a fun day out.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Yup NNN.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

anemic

Post by anemic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the correction on the NNN BC system. That stuff is burly wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Love to pass the dog!... and they really do not like to be passed by a human.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 am

anemic wrote:
EDIT:
Forgive me, I did not realize this skier seems to prefer to use AT equipment...this explains why he never drops a knee. I was fooled. So...it's still cool that he identifies with Nordic Backcountry, despite the lack of tele. Looking at some of his other videos he seems to be affiliated with Fischer and is on some very snazzy new lite AT boots.
This gives me an opportunity to speak to an issue that I have been thinking about for some time...

First of all- I also enjoyed watching this video- thank you for posting it.

To be honest, it was refreshing to see this xcd skier choosing NOT to use the telemark. Why? Because the snow conditions and the boots-bindings used did not make the telemark an effective technique.

I would suggest that if the skier pulled a telemark in those hard-packed, tight conditions- he/she would have wiped out. That skier is using stems, christies and full-on parallel turns on that dense, hard-packed stuff. It works.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

anemic

Post by anemic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 am

Another very fine discussion Cliffy. It's Nordic, it's legit, it works. I'm not a dogmatic skier, so whatever works is fine with me. I agree that throwing a tele turns does require some trail width, this skier enjoys speed to keep up with his ski dog buddy! I would be unable to hold a tele turn together in these situations.

it's good to know that the gear can take it. These are relatively high torque turns, and it's fine. Good to see the envelope being pushed on a variety of ways. Thanks for the discussion.
Call it Nordic Freeride

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 pm

To me that looked like a pretty easy trail for tele turns even with nnn. Like most people I see on xcd gear he is using a turn that he is familiar with and maybe has no interest in the tele turn. Also, don't those Sbounds have a no wax pattern? It didn't look like he should have needed those kicker skins for that trail.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

anemic wrote: it's good to know that the gear can take it. These are relatively high torque turns, and it's fine. Good to see the envelope being pushed on a variety of ways.
Skier has Fischer BCX6 NNNBC boots- these are the most powerful NNNBC boots I have yet tried.
Thanks for the discussion.
You as well!
Last edited by lilcliffy on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 pm

lowangle al wrote:To me that looked like a pretty easy trail for tele turns even with nnn. Like most people I see on xcd gear he is using a turn that he is familiar with and maybe has no interest in the tele turn. Also, don't those Sbounds have a no wax pattern? It didn't look like he should have needed those kicker skins for that trail.
I agree - especially with those skis. They Tele pretty nice, tight turns.

Yup - waxless.

If that's a Go Pro they distort things terribly. A 15 deg slope looks flat in the center of the fisheye and if you see something from the edges it may look way steeper than it really is.