End of an era?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: End of an era?

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:38 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Wow, a moderator telling other users to go FUCK THEMSELVES... Wow.
I'm very sad to see this is actually happening... Not exactly my vision of internet camaraderie...

Please excuse this sad episode.
Mike's words don't reflect Telemark Talk's spirit of friendly good-fellowship at all...

Sorry about that...
Thanks Johnny

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am

lowangle al wrote:
LoveJohnny wrote:Wow, a moderator telling other users to go FUCK THEMSELVES... Wow.
I'm very sad to see this is actually happening... Not exactly my vision of internet camaraderie...

Mike's words don't reflect Telemark Talk's spirit of friendly good-fellowship at all...

Sorry about that...
Thanks Johnny
Ditto.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 am

Sorry about that...
I'm not validating that it's right to say that to someone, but do you think the events that lead up to that were right?

Do you think its right for someone to invalidate someone not through actual comparisons but rather to attack their character or experience?

Do you think it is right for them then to make false claims that they were threatened?

Do you think it is right for them to continually use criticism of moderation powers as a tool against them?

I could have been more polite and diplomatic in what I said, but enough is enough, and it's enough to make me remove any of my personal information and move on - and I wanted to speak as myself rather than as some representative of this site. I tried really hard to make this place better than I found it, but its not as easy as you think. I hope the next person has more patience and does a better job of a job I never wanted in the first place. But it wasn't even that. I wanted to leave here around the time Ron was banned because I never felt like I made it any better. I'm still not sure I ever did. I tried my best and at times I thought I was part of a great contribution, at other times I just thought it was the same mess I wanted to leave in the first place.

I'm not a people person, I never have been. I don't like dealing with these type of things and I never claimed to be good at it. I prefer being alone or with my family. I love the motivation a place like this gives me to keep moving forward and striving to get out and do what I love. But I hate all the baggage that comes with it. I'm going to have to find another way.

Good luck to you all.
Mike

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Mike, you are probably right, you aren't a people person and maybe it not the job for you. But you add a lot and have kept things going when there otherwise wasn't anything to talk about. I don't think anyone wants to see you go. It would make the title of this thread awfully ironic.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Nothing personal to you Al - I like you and think you're a good guy even if a bit misunderstood by others at times.

You can get my email from Johnny if you like and you want to get together when you get back in PA.

Those of you that actually know me and have worked with me off here know how I am and you can feel free to contact me anytime. I think there are a lot of really good people on this forum. Unfortunately the few spoil it for the many. The anonymous poster always wins in this situation (and yes Connyro is simply just an anagram for Ronny Co(le) and has always posted from a proxy). It happens every time on every forum I've ever been on. Why would I think it any different this time. And what do I want to win? What do I care about that guy? He's just some miserable prick who hides his whole life... why should it matter? Because it does. Because this place was supposed to go beyond that, and it never has, and it never will... keep trying, but it won't change. And if you try to change it, you'll be ridiculed for every decision you make. And if you don't, you'll lose any actual meaningful content and just give in to whoever can bully the other person with whatever means they think they can use.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Sorry about that...
That's ok LJ... Thanks for your sollicitude. But like I said, I do not want to take things too personal...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:01 pm

MikeK wrote:
connyro wrote:Mike, chill out. For christ's sake, now your calling members assholes and telling them to fuck themselves because you don't agree with or like them? I honestly thought you were an OK guy before this absurd episode.
I might take you more serious if you didn't have a rampant track record of jumping on those who were down, coming in at opportune times to dogpile on others, hiding behind a fake name and proxy, and most of all being a childish little baby and resorting to calling someone a beginner when you couldn't convince them of your way. Well, I can be that way too. And I'm not a mod now, so you can't even throw that in my face.

I thought you were a dick since my first encounter with you. You've been OK here and there, but mostly, when the table turns, you're the first to resort to the bullshit. I wanted to ban you years ago. I wanted to ban you when Ron was banned. But I kept cool and gave you a chance. You showed your true colors with Woodserson and I've been waiting for it to come out again. I hope everyone who has some decency on this forum (and there are a lot) see you for what you are. Maybe you'll get the hint and just leave. I hope. Maybe Johnny will ban you in the future, but I doubt it. You deserved it long ago and didn't get it.
You are way off base and way out of line Mike. I was only trying to state that maybe you don't really have the experience to draw such stark conclusions about two binding systems. I wasn't 'dogpiling' or 'jumping on', throwing in your face', or 'calling you a beginner'. I was making a point which went right over your head. I didn't want to discuss the technical specifications of the two binding systems involved. That's not my strength. I'm not ever going to be an engineer. But I have skied 80+ days/season for most of my life, so I tried to offer that as a basis for MY experience and opinions of the two binding systems. Sorry if that makes me a 'dick' with a need to 'go fuck' himself.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Thank you Johnny, that's bben needing to be said. Been on the verge myself; this is a new experience for me to witness here. Apparentlt there's a lot of history I don't know about, nor have a need or desire to know.

For my part, Mike, Rodelban, Connyro - and everyone else, have been helpful and cool. I hope the dust settles soon.

On another note, Biff: I'll bet I was just over at Snowbird when you were at Alta. Had some (still) memorable 3 pin forays up under Devil's Castle uder a full moon back then, and hung up my alpine boards soon after.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 am

I just want to rectify something... I never insulted anybody on this forum. I did tell what I thought sometimes, like «you do not seem to talk from experience». Or if you want to sell me something 40$ that is 50$ new, I'll say that it is not worth it, period (in that case, the conversion started in PM, but the seller decided to answer my private questions on the forum, so...). Never used the words prick, dick or little man, or go fuck etc. Sorry if I hurt someone (maybe Illcliffy?), but I think I owe myself to be honest.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:30 am

Rodbelan wrote:I just want to rectify something... I never insulted anybody on this forum. I did tell what I thought sometimes, like «you do not seem to talk from experience». Or if you want to sell me something 40$ that is 50$ new, I'll say that it is not worth it, period (in that case, the conversion started in PM, but the seller decided to answer my private questions on the forum, so...). Never used the words prick, dick or little man, or go fuck etc. Sorry if I hurt someone (maybe Illcliffy?), but I think I owe myself to be honest.
OK Rod, I apologize to you. That is what I was talking about and it seemed insulting to me. But maybe its just because of your English.

Also you were always right there to judge me whenever I made some decisions in moderation. Like this one. Which wasn't even a decision but one on my part to give it up.

Actually I didn't not tell you to "go fuck yourself", I only asked if I could. I only meant it to for one person, and frankly, I think they deserve it (speaking as Mike K and not a "moderator"). I just really didn't want or need your input in the situation.

I'm not rectifying that situation. And seen as how this obviously did bother you enough to post something even though you said you don't take it seriously, I figure I owe you an apology. Sorry.