End of an era?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: End of an era?

Post by MikeK » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm sure you'll find something...

I really like those skis and I'm sure mine will fail someday... but I figure by then, there'll be something new and better to try.

Skis are always changing and new stuff is always happening. You cannot plan your quiver for 5 years from now.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Well, that Super Tele was the first of the "new" sturdier flat baled 3 pins. Was working a XC bench when the appeared. The Voile 3 pin HD is, in my opinion, a noticeable improvement. Better coverage of the bale on the duckbill, and much sturdier bale. That Rottefella was known to snap off at the front end - and sometimes the bale itself.
Now the BEST 3 pin, for me, is the surprisingly seldom, if ever mentioned, Chouinard, then Black Diamond, 3 pin. I have a couple of pair, and I'm keeping 'em.

now back to Rottefella - some of you may remember that the first of the "renaissance" tele bindings with a cable, was also a Rottefella. Same 3 pin but with cable attached, and... now extinct... a front throw lever, mounted fore of the 3 pin. 75mm cables are apparently live and well, even without that early entry.Rottefella is probably quite satisfied that their NNN BC is the current norm.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 pm

It seems to be a trend in North America that for some reason we want to hang onto that 3 pin sans cable.

It's a fine binding. Personally, do I really care if a binding lasts for 30 years? I mean maybe it's nice, but is anyone really skiing on bindings they bought 30 years ago? I bet most of those were tossed in scrap bins fully functioning as will plenty of NNN-BC bindings.

I can get into and out of a NNN-BC in almost any condition easier than I can a pin binding. What a effin' PITA they are in deep snow when the toe cup is all full of snow. Then you are trying to line up 3 pins sticking up 1/4"... and then force down that bale a couple clicks as your telescoping pole starts to buckle and your ski is pushed deeper into the snow... I dunno... At least a 75mm sans pins doesn't have that hassle.

I crossed a number of roads on my last ski, and my had Rotte STs on her skis, me NNN-BC. I'm in and out off skiing again in the blink of an eye. She's fussing lining up pin holes while her ski tries to slide forward and then trying to clamp the bale down. It takes significantly longer and is more hassle even in ideal conditions.

There's little but nostalgia holding me to that system. It works, it's pretty sturdy and it's kinda retro. I mean I'm sure there were guys clinging onto their Birch root heel strap bindings when the rat traps came out...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 pm

MikeK wrote:but is anyone really skiing on bindings they bought 30 years ago? I bet most of those were tossed in scrap bins fully functioning as will plenty of NNN-BC bindings.
My wife still skis her white and red Rotte 3-pins on the origional xcd-gts.
MikeK wrote:What a effin' PITA they are in deep snow when the toe cup is all full of snow. Then you are trying to line up 3 pins sticking up 1/4"... and then force down that bale a couple clicks as your telescoping pole starts to buckle and your ski is pushed deeper into the snow... I dunno... At least a 75mm sans pins doesn't have that hassle.
Wow I can see why you don't mess around with wax.
MikeK wrote:I crossed a number of roads on my last ski, and my had Rotte STs on her skis, me NNN-BC. I'm in and out off skiing again in the blink of an eye. She's fussing lining up pin holes while her ski tries to slide forward and then trying to clamp the bale down. It takes significantly longer and is more hassle even in ideal conditions.
Women are always slower putting there skis on than men because they don't practice in the living room.

I haven't even been seeing any 3-pin mounted skis in the second hand store lately. But I did find some as good as new riva cables for 30 bucks today. They are mounted on an Atomic Beta Carve 9.26 a skinny alpine ski from 99' or so.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 am

wow, all kidding aside this is horrible! There are still plenty of them in retail channels, maybe it's just an omission from the website. My favorite binding of all time, I like it SO much better than Voile or NNNBC.

In any case, I know what my response is going to be - buying enough of them now to last the rest of my years. Of course I probably already have that many ST"s around the house anyway. :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:13 am

btw I noticed another travesty this winter - the Fischer BC Country Wax skis were eliminated! To my knowledge this was the only 210cm traditional waxing XC ski sold in the US. A devastating loss IMO, even Asnes does not make anything similar, these were an institution of XC skiing for the last few decades! There are still a few out there with retailers from last year, move quickly if you want a pair.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:26 am

^^^^^ isn't Mike selling his unmounted Ingstads

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 am

How long are those Ingstads?? But the BC Country is a skinny nordic ski, 60-52-57, something like that, not a fattie for powder. I just assumed everyone in Europe buys the BC Country, that's why Asnes doesn't make an edgeless wax ski. Maybe they'll start next year.

btw I've emailed these companies with my feedback already. This sport is getting weird. Maybe sports equipment has become too big and corporate. Gearx is selling Super Tele's for $49 shipped. Now that my hoard is complete I can tell you! :lol: :lol:

whoa...found Mike's skis....200's.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asnes-Ingstad-2 ... SwWxNYoM3k

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:29 am

lowangle al wrote:
My wife still skis her white and red Rotte 3-pins on the origional xcd-gts.
There's always one...
lowangle al wrote: Wow I can see why you don't mess around with wax.
Just sayin' man... those who claim superiority of the pin neglect these things. I'm not here to start a battle, that's ridiculous. I'm just putting that out there. If you say it hasn't happened to you... well... I don't believe you.

No practice required. Try it.

It's hard to deny that 3 pins are better than twisted roots (I never tried twisted roots though)... and I gotta say, it gets harder to deny that NNN is better than 3 pins... at least more refined.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I'd rate the in-and-out capability of both about the same, that's not where the difference lies. With NNNBC I can recall many times repeatedly stomping my toe into the little clip and missing the slot over & over. But most of the time the boots match up with the NNN slot or pin holes pretty quickly. actually ease of entry & exit is one reason why some of us prefer the Super Tele to the Mountaineer.

the pins & system bindings seem equally vital to me. Would never want system bindings to go away either. The difference between welted leather boots on the thick 75mm sole and pleather boots on NNNBC sole is huge. It's the boots and pins going away that's the travesty. Many people with odd feet will never fit into the NNNBC sole boots. I literally gave up the sport for about 10 years until I found welted, single-piece leather boots that could be stretched for my feet.