NNN Boot Mounting

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

NNN Boot Mounting

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Relative to 3 pin, it's WAY different.

If you look at the mounting from boot mechanics rather than some arbitrary lines on the ski, you'll see that NNN boots effective length is much shorter.

I measured mine when switching.

Same boot, NNN vs 3 pin:

BC length NNN: 28 cm (from center of bar to heel)
BC length 3 pin: 31 cm (center of pins to heel)

The soles themselves are a touch different, but it's obvious the relation between the pivot on each relative to BOF is much different. NNN puts you much farther up on the ski for the same pin line, as much as 3cm!!

That's not really insignificant.

My thought would be to go a cm or two back from a normal pin line for a similar feel on the ski. It's perhaps a bit of a conundrum when you are already at balance and don't want to go back to make the ski tip heavy.

It could promote turning initiation in some instances and give more of an Alpine feel, but it some, it may put the weight too far forward on the ski.

Just some food for thought.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: NNN Boot Mounting

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:18 pm

If you have a pin line put the 75 mm boot on the ski where it should be mounted and mark where the heel is. then put the nnn boot on the ski with the heel lined up with the 75mm boot heel and then mark where the bar is and mount there.

All my leather boots are 2 sizes too big, so that puts my weight 2 cm behind any recommended mounting point and all my skis work fine.

Back in the day I thought they mounted skis behind the balance point so the tips would stay closer to the snow when doing jump turns among other things.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Yeah you can do that, but for instance, on my S Bounds it puts you back behind the balance point.

Those are kind of weird skis though. The balance is really forward compared to others. I kept the pivot on balance like it was with the pins, but it's going to put my foot effectively forward.

I was just putting that out there as a point of comparison between NNN and pins. Most people just mount the bar line the same as the pin line and there's no real comparison.

But it's also why it feel strange to try to keep your forefoot down with NNN - the pivot is in such a different place. It's literally under your toes vs being out in front with pins.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:52 am

It is WAAY different isn't it (and track NNN is even further forward than NNNBC)...And- I haven't completely wrapped my tired brain around it....I have thought about this many times, but I really need to draw it out on grid paper with a pencil in order to try and make sense of it.

Regardless- the 3-pin line and the toe-bar line are totally different in relation to the ball of foot....a
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.