What would you change about NNN-BC?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anrothar

Re: What would you change about NNN-BC?

Post by anrothar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm

I think the biggest improvements would be making the linkage open and remove the play from it. The spring loaded aluminum of Dynafit's mechanism could be applied to the nnnbc mechanism to make it stouter(less flex, not necessarily stronger) and more ice proof without killing it's ability to deflect brush. The plastic base plate seems fine to me.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to make the bumper moveable to get it out of the way, but I'm not sure it's really necessary. You would just end up with something else that could fail.

Climbing wires stock would be nice.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:46 pm

anrothar wrote:I think the biggest improvements would be making the linkage open and remove the play from it.
I'm not really sure I get where you are going here...

There is no play in mine when the lever is closed on the manual bindings. It's a zero lash mechanism, so if you have slop when it's closed, something must be broken.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

MikeK wrote:
I'm not really sure I get where you are going here...

There is no play in mine when the lever is closed on the manual bindings. It's a zero lash mechanism, so if you have slop when it's closed, something must be broken.
When closed there's no slop because it's under tension. The splay in the mechanism when it's open seems like it would lead to slight inconsistencies every time it's closed and, entirely subjectively, just makes it feel cheap and flimsy.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Making it open would drastically reduce, if not eliminate the tendency to ice up in certain conditions. If it's going to be open, making it stouter and removing the slop makes sense.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 pm

anrothar wrote:
When closed there's no slop because it's under tension. The splay in the mechanism when it's open seems like it would lead to slight inconsistencies every time it's closed and, entirely subjectively, just makes it feel cheap and flimsy.
Yeah - exactly. That's the only time it really matters though. Once the lever hits it's "center" and you go over, you are deflecting the links in there which it gives it that snap shut, positive action.

There probably is a lot of difference part-to-part, but as long as they all get loaded and don't load to failure, then all that slop gets taken out. It's kind of the beauty of that type of mech.

The whole thing is a little flimsy when opened, but my thought is it doesn't need to be solid there. It could be designed to be a lot cleaner but it would probably cost twice as much. IMO they already kind of costly at $100 a shot. When compared to a plain 3 pin, which gives the same functionality, NNN-BC is a clear loser on cost.

Consumers must have really bought into them over the years otherwise that cost delta would have killed them dead.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:07 pm

I don't think I've ever paid more than $65 for NNNBC magnums. If they're retailing for $100 a pair, maybe now is the time to ebay the 3 or 4 I have laying around the garage.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

$90 at the moment. I've seen them as low as $65 end of season.

STs are under $50 retail.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Bring back/make more available the bumpers of varying stiffness that will fit the Mags.

I also like the cable idea and cleaning up the slop in the jaws and a metal footpad.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Add an attachment point for ski leashes.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:39 pm

satsuma wrote:Add an attachment point for ski leashes.

The old ones had that! It was a thin, stainless steel plate that mounted under the front of the binding and had a leash tab that stuck out/up in front of the binding.

DSCF4676.JPG
DSCF4674.JPG