Telemark gear fan

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
merak

Telemark gear fan

Post by merak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi,

I'm an AT skier for many years. I'm 40 now. Three years ago I made an investigation on what else is out there and gave telemark gear a try. I know TLT is the edge but I'm not that type that spends tons of money on this and besides I don't think is so durable.
After 3 years of skiing this gear I'm very pleased and glad I made this choice. I'm convinced that at least the boots and the bindings will last the rest of my life.
For now I have 2 voile 3 pins and 1 chili.
I need two types of gear: in the winter I may have snow up to my door so I leave with the skis and skins on, but when spring is around the corner there is a lot of walking involved and I switch to leather rather then carry all the stuff on my back.
So far I havent been able to learn the T turn but I dont have any difficuties in skiing this gear.

.... all these thoughts from a practical type of person, not a dreamer
This stuff is really good

Cannatonic

Re: Telemark gear fan

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 pm

you've come to the right place! there many gear-obsessed nerds like myself here. :lol: what type of skis and boots are you using?
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:08 am

Scarpa T4, Hagan Ultra in winter
Alpina Explorer 75 and Fischer Xtralite in Spring when I need to walk a lot to get to the snow.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 am

In spring I stash my skis and eventually my boots in the forest where the snow ends and start from there next time. This way I can get in and out the mountain(2300 m) in less then 6 hours. Not that I wouldn't love to spend the night on the mountain(and I occasionally do), but I have the family responsibility.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and your wonderful pictures, Merak. I do also love the lightness, durability and simplicity of the 3-pins and low boots. I have a background in the alpine racing circus many years ago, but was reborn with the "lite" telemark style.