Big Toe Arthritis- Anyone Tele with a bone fusion

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
nmaaron

Big Toe Arthritis- Anyone Tele with a bone fusion

Postby nmaaron » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Good evening Tele folks!

Anyone have experience with hallux rigidus (big toe joint rigidity and extreme pain) where they went forward with a joint fusion? I'm putting it off due to my age (41) and the fact that I'm extremely addicted to the turn and afraid that I'll be stuck in AT stuff if anything after a fusion. The pain is getting to be way too much of a factor now though.
Anyone??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

iBjorn

Re: Big Toe Arthritis- Anyone Tele with a bone fusion

Postby iBjorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:58 pm

If joint is fused, you can forget telemark. However, if it is ostheoarthritis related bone spurs that causes the rigidity, then it might be possible to remove the bone spurs and get your mobility back. You might then get 5-10 years more of telemarking, talk to an orthopedic surgeon.

nmaaron

Re: RE: Re: Big Toe Arthritis- Anyone Tele with a bone fusion

Postby nmaaron » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

iBjorn wrote:If joint is fused, you can forget telemark. However, if it is ostheoarthritis related bone spurs that causes the rigidity, then it might be possible to remove the bone spurs and get your mobility back. You might then get 5-10 years more of telemarking, talk to an orthopedic surgeon.

Thanks. Yes, it's spurs and no cartilage left. My ortho recommends a cheilectomy, but as you indicate, this is good for only a few years. Another option is a joint replacement, but I'm too young for that, I am guessing. Right now, I'm in some spendy orthotics in all my boots and shoes, but I'm at the point where the pain is too much and the steroid shots ain't cutting it.

Appreciate your feedback.

livetogrow

Postby livetogrow » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Following this thread. Hope I'm not overstepping b/c I don't telemark often, but am an avid backcountry nordic skier with hallux limitus and a doc who recommends a fusion. Granted, I don't have much flex in my toe now, but a fused joint scares me a bit, though the pain now is limiting the distance I ski and my willingness to commit to long adventures. I still get out every day or even twice if life allows, but for shorter durations. I'm 46.

nmaaron

Postby nmaaron » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing. I'm also interested in learning more about anyone who does anything free heeled with a bone fusion/hallux rigidus/joint replacement. This deal really stinks!

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”