New Moderator

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: New Moderator

Post by phoenix » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Harris, just want to say I'm totally cool with full blown tele gear, or light old school, it's all good. Been there and done it, both, and in between, and still do (well, skippin' the lift served lately cause I won't pay Jay's full price for a pass). What I do wholeheartedly appreciate is where you're coming from with the whole scheme of things.
I can grab my T-1's and click into my trusty old Work Stinx, or Shuksan's, and ski pretty much whatever. Mostly I'll slip into some cozy, sturdy leathers, whatever I have on the rack that may work for the day, and go tree thrashing. Look for the animal tracks. Practice my survival turns while whacking a branch out of my face with one hand and placing a good measured pole plant with the other... it's all good.

"It's all skiing."
"I ski because I don't have wings".

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:47 pm

For the heavy telemarkers, there is already a separate forum http://www.earnyourturns.com. From my time on the old telemarktips and on the forementioned forum, the "heavy" telemarkers look down on XCD skiers as "meadowskippers"-- which is probably why they abandoned or didn't come to this site. If I remember right, Ron Cole migrated to this site initially, and he irritated a lot of the heavy telemark crowd, although he never bothered me (a pure XC skier).

There is, of course, a pure PNW site--http://www.turns-all-year.com, which has been around a long time. I don't think it has much about conditions.

I am also in the PNW, but the only thing we have in common with the Cascades is we get most of the same storms. They dump less, but much drier snow, in the Blue Mountains and Elkhorns, where I ski.

The Lovely Bear

Post by The Lovely Bear » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 am

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am

satsuma wrote:....
I am also in the PNW, but the only thing we have in common with the Cascades is we get most of the same storms. They dump less, but much drier snow, in the Blue Mountains and Elkhorns, where I ski.
Looking to get back to the Elkhorns one of these days. Used to ski Anthony Lakes in younger years. My brother broke his leg (spiral) on hand-me-down Gresvig Supers & beartraps. Have you skied in the area of Gunsight? Any recommendations for some touring in that area that is not infested with snowmobilers? Thanks.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 pm

satsuma wrote:For the heavy telemarkers, there is already a separate forum http://www.earnyourturns.com. From my time on the old telemarktips and on the forementioned forum, the "heavy" telemarkers look down on XCD skiers as "meadowskippers"-- which is probably why they abandoned or didn't come to this site. If I remember right, Ron Cole migrated to this site initially, and he irritated a lot of the heavy telemark crowd, although he never bothered me (a pure XC skier).

I'm a meadow skipper and I don't' remember being looked down on at the old forum. But then I was open minded about plastic boots and fat skis, not so with many "xcd" skiers. There are many at both ends of the spectrum that think there way is superior. For someone like me who falls in the middle both heavy and light gear are right. I Thought we came to this site to become better skiers and it surprised me that people put limitations on what gear they will use to get there.

As far as Ron goes it was more than the heavy crowd that didn't like him. I agreed with a lot of what he said about skiing but he was an abrasive asshole who didn't know when to shut up. Mike was right to ban him, he just took to long.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm

1EyedJack wrote:
satsuma wrote:....
Looking to get back to the Elkhorns one of these days. Used to ski Anthony Lakes in younger years. My brother broke his leg (spiral) on hand-me-down Gresvig Supers & beartraps. Have you skied in the area of Gunsight? Any recommendations for some touring in that area that is not infested with snowmobilers? Thanks.
XC at Anthony Lakes when I can get there (it's 2 1/2 hours away). Gunsight Mountain is on the right here, but one can't see the top very well.
IMG_0106.JPG

teledance

Post by teledance » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:43 pm

satsuma wrote:For the heavy telemarkers, there is already a separate forum http://www.earnyourturns.com. From my time on the old telemarktips and on the forementioned forum, the "heavy" telemarkers look down on XCD skiers as "meadowskippers"-- which is probably why they abandoned or didn't come to this site. If I remember right, Ron Cole migrated to this site initially, and he irritated a lot of the heavy telemark crowd, although he never bothered me (a pure XC skier).

There is, of course, a pure PNW site--http://www.turns-all-year.com, which has been around a long time. I don't think it has much about conditions.

EYT is more into NTN, not so much 75mm style, which puts me in a fringe/fringe realm.
TAY more Cascades not INW, at least I have http://www.panhandlebackcountry.com for my area. I was out hiking and skiing powder today, we're in a nice storm track for now. Just enjoy the last of winter any way we can.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Teledance, I'm a little surprised to hear it's near winter's end for you out there. Always thought you were a Vermont NEK guy, but maybe had the name mixed up.
What puts you in the fringe realm, I wonder? I ski lightweight boots, skinny old 3 pins, up to T1's and full on tele gear... but can't say I've felt fringe around here. I'm more of the "it's all skiing" frame of mind myself.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:54 pm

teledance wrote:

EYT is more into NTN, not so much 75mm style, which puts me in a fringe/fringe realm.
TAY more Cascades not INW, at least I have http://www.panhandlebackcountry.com for my area. I was out hiking and skiing powder today, we're in a nice storm track for now. Just enjoy the last of winter any way we can.
You're in ID?
In our local paper, Bluewood (in SE WA) says they expect enough snow to be open until mid-April. Not sure they really will be--they closed the 1st weekend in April last year.