Modifications of self-arrest ski poles

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
iBjorn

Modifications of self-arrest ski poles

Post by iBjorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Self-arrest ski poles has gained my interest ever since starting Telemarking in 1990. Back in the days, I’d skied Tua Cirques with cables and no risers - and oouuhh, the thrill when edging hard on steep icy conditions and the binding hit the ice, and suddenly I was travelling on the ass at 50 mph and accelerating...well, you get the idea. I saw a Gipron self-arrest pole in a catalogue back then which caught my attention, but was never able to find a self-arrest pole until approximately 2005 when I finally was able to get my hands on a Grivel Condor. The Condor is a master piece with it’s retrievable pick. I have looked at the BD Whippet, but I didn’t like the idea of skiing with a sharp blade in my hand when it isn’t necessary.

I do like the Condor very much, but is has two disadvantages, first it’s strap position, and secondly, it is considerably heavier than regular ski poles (mine weights in at 450 grams). Since I usually don’t need the self-arrest, I often just ski with regular poles - ending up in ice and scary situations when my beloved condor is at home. The length and bulk of the Condor also makes me hesitate to pack the Condor on my backpack, as it will also interfere with either the airbag or my ass and leg when skiing due to it’s length even with the lower section removed.

However, since the Condor Poles is just a standard 18/16mm poles - I finally took the time to modify and shorten the Condor, also mounted a flick-lock, so I can use it with carbon lower sections. Now it even fits inside my backpack, and I just use the lower section from my regular poles on my Condor when needed. Also made a carbon adapter so I can use the 14mm lower sections from my carbon BC poles with the Condor. I also shortened the upper section of one of my regular poles, so it would fit on my backpack without interfering with my leg/airbag when skiing with the Condor.

The parts of a ski poles (tips, handle, twist-lock etc) is often mounted with heat sensitive glue, so just letting the pole take a really hot shower, or a gentle breeze with a heat gun, usually is enough to dismantle the parts if needed. With these modifications my Condor is now always is in the backpack. switching the lower sections of ski poles in just a matter of seconds. The same modifications could also be done to a BD Whippet I guess - thereby removing the hazard of skiing with a sharp pick when it is not necessary.
Last edited by iBjorn on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

iBjorn

Re: Modifications of self-arrest ski poles

Post by iBjorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:26 pm

And some pictures, first unmodified:
IMG_4706.JPG
and shortened with flick-lock, togheter with a shortened regular twist-pole as well as the BC carbon pole with the home made 14mm adaptor.
IMG_4721.JPG

anemic

Post by anemic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Clever & slick. Where do you find spare flick locks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:17 pm

anemic wrote:Clever & slick. Where do you find spare flick locks?
A large BD reseller had spare parts, otherwise a good tip is to ask around if any friend have any broken poles.

I attach a photo of the modified end of the pole..
IMG_4729.JPG