Ditch the double camber

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Ditch the double camber

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:29 am

^^^^ I thought so to, but at 117 in the tip there bigger than I thought. I also want something with less sidecut and I'd have to try them out to see how they work with my leather boots on hard pack. You never know they could be perfect but I doubt I'll ever get to try them.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:14 am

lowangle al wrote:^^^^ I thought so to, but at 117 in the tip there bigger than I thought. I also want something with less sidecut and I'd have to try them out to see how they work with my leather boots on hard pack. You never know they could be perfect but I doubt I'll ever get to try them.
Agreed. They are too close to the Vectors IMO for me to spend that kind of loot. They are interesting to me, but I'm not really looking for or need a lighter xcD setup or a heavy XCd setup. IF I didn't own and ski the Vectors and Guides, THe Objectives would be something that I would seriously consider.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 am

Yep too close to the vectors especially if they didn't work with leather boots in all conditions. I'd like something around 75-80 mm waist and 90-95 at the tip or smaller.

The WSP skimo ski has good specs but they only come in a 160cm. They may not be no-wax either, I think they have a skin system.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:42 am

The Outtas I think are a camber and a half. I use them a lot but mine are so old maybe they've lost some of that camber lol. On the double camber I have to verbally tell myself "Up" and "Down" to keep turning them, I pretty much avoid using them now. A thought though, I play a lot of tennis and one thing I really like to do is every few weeks I go out and hit with one of my old wood racquets just to groove my strokes and keep my eyes where they need to be. Because they are so unforgiving once I switch back to modern gear I play a lot better. I wonder if breaking out the skinny doubles now and then would actually be a helpful thing. Mine don't have bindings on them currently but maybe I'll take them down off the wall and take a run with them....

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

^^^ I'm an advocate of using different gear to help learn different things that you can put together to increase your skill level. While I'm not a fan of double camber if yours are working for you why not use them. I think the same tricks that you need to turn a difficult ski in good conditions should work to turn an easy ski in difficult conditions.