Madshus Birkebeiner Wooden Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GLB

Re: Madshus Birkebeiner Wooden Skis

Post by GLB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Give them a try as they are, should be fun. I have an old pair of Karhu XCD supreme that have little camber left, I can easily press them together with a thumb and two fingers of one hand. I took them out yesterday on our hard, groomed and refrozen track and had a blast. I think getting the grip wax correct for the conditions is more critical and you want have that pop when you unweight them but with mine I could crank those skinny things around making turns surprisingly easy.

Mizan

Post by Mizan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 pm

That's great! I'll give me a shot. Worst case I'll just appreciate their beauty while going nowhere in the snow, haha.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Steam bending will permanently shape a piece of wood if done right for unfinished wood. I don't know how it will affect the skis that are varnished on top possibly open on the bottoms. It sounds like it worked though. If it doesn't last and you redo it do as Woods says and watch the heat and leave the blocks in longer.

Mizan

Post by Mizan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Seemed to work well, hopefully it holds well. I'll leave them blocked for a while. Thanks for all the help lowangle al!

GLB

Post by GLB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 am

Years ago people use to store their skis during the summer months with a tennis ball in the camber pocket area with the tips and tails secured. I have never done that but might be worth a try.