Newbie telemark skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Mizan

Newbie telemark skis

Post by Mizan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd like to learn telemark, I'm more of a traditionalist, but would like a simple pair of skis I can beat up and take to local lift resorts to learn. I don't want anything fancy, I have leather telemark boots and voile 3 pin bindings. I got the voiles for $8 at a thrift shop. So what should I be looking for in a ski on my classifieds and loca thrift shops? I'm 6ft 200lbs and have some cross country experience, no telemark turning though.

I've seen the military surplus skis made by karhu and asnes. Could work?

Essentially the skis must be:
Cheap used/military surplus
Good with 3 pin cable voiles and leather boots
Good for lift skiing

What am I looking for in shape/ size/ brand etc.

dorthman

Re: Newbie telemark skis

Post by dorthman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:14 am

pretty much any old pair of alpine skis will do, Sown thing with a like 70ish waist width and a 18m turn radius makes a good ski to learn on...imo. Maybe I'd maybe go for a narrower ski since your on leathers.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am

Mid 70s should be fine with leather. I would keep the length on the short side, 170 to no more than 185. Like dorthman said make sure they have an alpine camber.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Good advice above. I'll add: DON'T get those white surplus skis. And no stiff, race oriented skis. If you go for old alpines, something considered an "intermediate" ski is usually about right. You'll want something a bit forgiving.