Taking the "elf toe" out of old plastic tele boots?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Taking the "elf toe" out of old plastic tele boots?

Post by EvanTrem » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm

So here is my question, has anyone ever tried reversing the "elf toe" effect were telemark boot toes start to stay in the bent position?

I have molded and punched boots before using a plastic welder and a heat gun :shock: but I wonder if you could use heat to relax the pebax without ruining the bellows. I know that standard 75mm boots have a metal plate in the duck bill but I wonder if this plate extends under the toe? The "rocker launch" effect that afflicts older boots really bugs me and I have switched to Bishop Bombers to mitigate this as much as possible, but I wonder if there is a way to reverse it.

telemarkmark

Re: Taking the "elf toe" out of old plastic tele boots?

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Store boots with toes and heels tied together, so far not much help, though will tie up over summer.
Accept the bend, so shave the top of the duckbill, and put a wedge below. This really helps as the duckbill is wedged vertically, so is very firm in the binding.