The Last King. AKA: A telemarking battle movie.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

The Last King. AKA: A telemarking battle movie.

Post by Harris » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 am

It has axes. It has spears. It has a medieval "overthrow the king" plot. It has Norwegian legend. And... It has telemark fight scenes. I give you...

anemic

Re: The Last King. AKA: A telemarking battle movie.

Post by anemic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 am

It's so good. When we stream it from iTunes, it defaulted to an experience-killing English overdub. My IT guy (16 y/o son) switched it to Norwegian language w/English subtitles, which is the only way to see this movie if you don't know Norwegian. We loved it.
Call it Nordic Freeride

GLB

Post by GLB » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:49 am

It's a good movie with some good skiing in it. I'm reading the book now "Birkebeiner" by Jeff Foltz, a historical fiction about the events.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm

It looks like fat rockered skis were the origional XCD skis. For historical accuracy were there no T turns before Sondre Nordheim?

GLB

Post by GLB » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Who did Sondre Norheim learn it from??? I believe it was all part of getting around and moving through that terrain while on skis that they learned different techniques. I am sure it was used in some form with a combination of other skills before it was given a name and called a style. However in the movie you don't see any T-Turns but good skiing all around.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:26 pm

My recollection is that Sondre Norheim came up with the idea for the turn as a way to check speed after landing Nordic long jumps. It bled over to the alpine world... there were fierce arguments over the temark vs. parallel styles.

I think the movie was really the Kingdom boys looking to have fun out of tele camp. One of 'em was babysitting their grandson, had to do something. And get the kid started young.