78 Traverse / 88 Excursion which one? Or another?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 78 Traverse / 88 Excursion which one? Or another?

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

StormyMonday wrote: I use 2 skis for xcd, my Outtabounds which I've had seemingly forever, and some NOS Alpina Cross Terrains, which I think is now the Discovery 102. The Alpinas at 102/64/87 and an alpine like camber are not k&g skis. They are waxless and climb like a goat and as the dimensions suggest are plenty turny. They are also stiffer than the Outtas. I ski my Outtas in 179 and my X Terrains in 170 (I'm 5'10" 170 lbs).
Thanks for the excellent and details regarding your Outtabounds and Alpina Cross Terrain/Discovery 102.

I have no actual skiing experience with the Alpina BC lineup- have handled and flexed them in the shop a few times- they really do have a traditional alpine single camber don't they?

It has been a decade since I took the Outtabounds on a multi-day trip- can barely remember anything about them other than liking the sidecut profile.

Why do you like your skis so short? Maneuverability?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

So that's a great question! The Outtabounds and Alpinas for me are my backcountry skis, and for me backcountry consists of the tightest tree lines I can find, partly because I love that type of turning (loved skiing SL courses when I was young) and partly because it opens up terrain most people prefer not to tackle. One of my favorite lines is a place where if you have enough speed to handle crust or mank you probably have too much speed to avoid the trees. It's probably a weird type of skiing and I admit that when I bring other people they usually don't return my calls for subsequent trips. I'm strange that way I guess. I do have 185 Tua Mitos, 190 10th Mountain Tour skinnies and old 185 or so Super Stinx to use when I'm not picking pine needles out of my ears, I just don't use them much!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm

StormyMonday,

Are your Alpinas mounted back? I have a buddy with a pair and they seem to be mounted quite back. He likes them, but visually the mounting looks weird.

Also, where are you, either I knew or I forgot or I never knew. I too carry my skis in my car to pop out at different places to ski a few turns. I'm in Concord, wouldn't mind whacking around one day if we can make it work.

For reference for other skiers, I'm 6'2" 160lbs and on the 189 Outtas which are nice for groomed but in mank I would be annoyed and frustrated with the leathers. 189 98s too... Which is why I'm considering the 179s.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Woodserson wrote:StormyMonday,

Are your Alpinas mounted back? I have a buddy with a pair and they seem to be mounted quite back. He likes them, but visually the mounting looks weird.

Also, where are you, either I knew or I forgot or I never knew. I too carry my skis in my car to pop out at different places to ski a few turns. I'm in Concord, wouldn't mind whacking around one day if we can make it work.

For reference for other skiers, I'm 6'2" 160lbs and on the 189 Outtas which are nice for groomed but in mank I would be annoyed and frustrated with the leathers. 189 98s too... Which is why I'm considering the 179s.
Hi Woodserson,
I'm over on the Seacoast - if it doesn't melt this week I know a spot in between us that is prime! I mounted my Alpinas pins on cord center, mostly because that's the way I've always done it lol! I used to experiment a lot more with mounting when I was messing with alpine gear and I do remember the differences could be pretty dramatic back then. I guess I just got lazy haha. I think I might have a Friday off upcoming, if so will let you know, maybe we can explore an old DH mountain bike trail I cut a decade ago that had some nice lines in the woods!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm

>>Despite the "made in China" paranoia- we have found the Eon well made, and very durable. It is wood-cored and therefore there is some variability in the flex from ski to ski.

I noticed this too - Madshus skis are robust, the edges are nice and thick compared to Fischer. RE: E99, I think it's the soft flex that makes it turn easier. I finally got some miles on my Gamme54 210's, right away they felt much like 210 E99's, the camber and shape is the same, but the flex is noticeably stiffer. Sounds like the Glittertind is the same way. Btw I think it's called something else now.

I've noticed that double-camber skis like E99 aren't that hard to turn on consildated spring snow, but when the tails are sinking in they're more difficult to handle in turns, probably because the camber is forcing the tails down into the snowpack I'm guessing?
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I checked out some Eons the other day and found them to have a way softer camber than the no wax Karhu xcd-gt that I have. I am sure they would ski much better.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:21 pm

LC-- the 98 I have has a nice consistent flex from tip to tail, so the shovel doesn't rise up and leave the rest of the ski behind, it's all very proportional but perhaps too much for my weight and the skiing I want to do in a 189...

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm

I am quite sure the alpina BC skis are internally one of their old alpine skis with a scaled base on the bottom. They're quite stiff and heavy but great trail and corn skis imo. Ive skied mine close to death (bases and scales are real beat up)I will probably grab another pair in the longest length

And I'm also in the seacoast, you've been up to aggie, yeah? Some bitchin sweet xcd/tele lapping to be done out there

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 pm

dorthman wrote:I am quite sure the alpina BC skis are internally one of their old alpine skis with a scaled base on the bottom. They're quite stiff and heavy but great trail and corn skis imo. Ive skied mine close to death (bases and scales are real beat up)I will probably grab another pair in the longest length

And I'm also in the seacoast, you've been up to aggie, yeah? Some bitchin sweet xcd/tele lapping to be done out there
Aggie among others. We have some nice stuff when there is snow. Lost a lot this week though, will head for Oxford county this weekend and see. Stilll trying to think up a plan for tomorrow, weather only seems slightly bad lol...

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I ended up skinning Pats a few times. Firm and fast!