Hard wires or NTN? And what ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
kareng

Re: Hard wires or NTN? And what ski?

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:39 am

connyro wrote:I would get the AXLs over the VICE bindings if you plan to tour/climb at all. The AXLS perform just as well as the VICEs on the down but the AXLSs with their free-pivot are much better on the tour or up track.
Thanks for your input. Super helpful!

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:45 am

Rock_Doc wrote:here's a couple ideas:
http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/women ... vy-w-sale/
OR
http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/view- ... y-helix-2/
OR
http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/view- ... kl-mantra/

In the meantime, I would look into a ski like the Liberty Envy or Helix mounted with 22Design Vice bindings for a really versatile, deeper snow, lift served set up - I've got the Helix, which is great in powder, chowder, cut up mank, squishy bumps, but a litte squirrelly on hard pack groomers. The Mantra is another ski to consider for all-around versatility.

I'd keep the Fischer skis mounted with the G3 bindings as a low-snow, back up set. Or days when ripping groomers. Especially if you like your boots. I don't think I'd invest in another binding for this ski, though I can definitely tell a difference in how the Vice skis, relative to the Targa.

Have fun!
Hey thanks so much for directing me to telemarkdown.com. I didn't know about this site and was relieved to find out that i can get set up with new skis and bindings for around $600. So I've been researching the options you suggested there and also other choices that came up in my research. I think I've narrowed down between Liberty Helix 105 an DPS Nina 99 (found it on evo.com).

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:47 am

fisheater wrote:Hello Karen,
Could I offer the suggestion that if you buy another set of skis you now have a quiver of two. I know for the most part people that switch to NTN seem to like it, however I have heard some people tried NTN and came back to NNN (3-pin) gear. Although I have no desire to go to NTN, from what I read it may be very helpful to you. That being said, the money you save on NTN boots could put a more active binding on your Mustang T-Stix. Then you can buy DPS Wailer for the powder days. That is why people have a couple different skis. As for ski recommendations, I am sure you will get a few here, however there are two other sites that seem to have more people interested in NTN and sidecountry skiing. Don't misunderstand me, there are people here that are knowledgeable about exactly the gear you speak of, there are just more people whom focus on that gear on the other sites.
If I was picking the skis, I would put a Vice on the T-Stix and I would put a Switchback X2 on a Supercharger for the sidecountry. There are a lot of good choices out there. You said you like skiing powder, buy a powder ski, and get a bit more active of a binding to help you on the groomed.
Good luck, let us know how you do.
This is not a bad idea. Thanks!

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 am

teledance wrote:Backcountry is selling Hardwires at the moment, as for skis something in the mid 90's, if your charging hard in the crud something a bit stiffer or/ & with metal. More powder oriented and BC well something a bit softer, good luck on your search, now is definitely the best time to score deals. I like going through the reviews from the season or two before, knowing how I ski and what my need is. Love my old style Volkl Mantras as an everyday ski.
Hey thanks for your suggestions! I took it to heart and have been reading reviews on Vokyl Mantra as well as suggestions in other posts. I seem to be leaning towards the DPS Nina 99.

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 am

nmaaron wrote:Based on your preferences, you might be best served skiing, both economically and skiing wise with the viole hardwire three pin and a volkl t rock type ski. You ski what lots of us ski it sounds like, and I have narrowed it down to this combo for my quiver of one...not sure what the modern and women's equivalent to the t rock is, but you might be able to pick something up used even. The three pin HW is good cause you can lock down the HW bindings behind the heel plate when skinning or doing low angle hills. Then theres no need for new boots. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for your support of duckbills! I also took your ski suggestion to heart and researched Volkl T Rock. Somehow I've come to be seriously considering DPS Nina 9. Still thinking on it and looking around. Thanks again!

teledance

Post by teledance » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am

kareng wrote:
nmaaron wrote:Based on your preferences, you might be best served skiing, both economically and skiing wise with the viole hardwire three pin and a volkl t rock type ski. You ski what lots of us ski it sounds like, and I have narrowed it down to this combo for my quiver of one...not sure what the modern and women's equivalent to the t rock is, but you might be able to pick something up used even. The three pin HW is good cause you can lock down the HW bindings behind the heel plate when skinning or doing low angle hills. Then theres no need for new boots. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for your support of duckbills! I also took your ski suggestion to heart and researched Volkl T Rock. Somehow I've come to be seriously considering DPS Nina 9. Still thinking on it and looking around. Thanks again!
Funny I just sold my Volkl T-rock skis with 3-pin Hardwires for 250.00, ski was to soft for me in most conditions. It did go to a buddy picking up tele and he loves them. Had already set him up with a pair of T-race boots.