New boots and a foot of fluff.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

New boots and a foot of fluff.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:33 pm

My T-4s just arrived and I'm hopeing to get out for a test run before the temps go up tmro. Backcountry.com had them for 30% off, lots of sizes too.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: New boots and a foot of fluff.

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 pm

lowangle al wrote:My T-4s just arrived and I'm hopeing to get out for a test run before the temps go up tmro. Backcountry.com had them for 30% off, lots of sizes too.
Old ones or current year?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:50 pm

They should be the new year, they have heat moldable liners. They feel a lot tighter than the ones I tried on a couple months ago at the store. Is it possible they are last years and the changed the last? Or maybe my feet are swollen today.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 pm

If you tried the older ones and received the new ones, then the boot is going to be tighter... till you thermoform them! Look at pictures on the web; you will see the difference in the liner... If you happen to have the older one, do not thermoform em! Everything will fall apart... Even if you have the older one, do not worry too much... the liner gets packed after a couple of runs...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:41 am

I think they are the new ones, I put some heat to them and 10 minutes later they felt good. They are a half size bigger than my T2s and I'm happy with a more comfort fit.

They skied fantastic, combining the freedom of movement from the low cuff like a leather boot and the rigid connection of the plastic upper to the sole, like a plastic boot. I was on Vector BCs but I planned on taking out my Insanes (112mm waist) but it warmed up too much for my wax. I don't think the Insanes would have been too much ski for the boots, in that snow anyway, maybe I'll find out tomorow.

They were very light, only 4 oz. heavier than my leather boots per the pair. They are a perfect boot for a ski like the Vector. I don't think I'll find their limitation until conditions gets hard again.

GLB

Post by GLB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 am

I bought some new T4s this year and was extremely impressed on the fit and comfort I got wearing these boots. However I have a hard time skiing in them. My parallels are good with these but the Teles not so much. I have pretty much always skied leather and have only used plastic a few times many years ago and some this season. I'm sure it's something I just need to get use to.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

GLB,
If you ski "knee to ski" in your leathers, try skiing a taller stance with your plastic boots.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

GLB

Post by GLB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm

1EyedJack wrote:GLB,
If you ski "knee to ski" in your leathers, try skiing a taller stance with your plastic boots.
Thanks, I do have a longer stance when I ski and have been advised to try shorter/taller stance with hard boots but having difficulty finding my balance. It's rocky for me to stride into the stance I like with them, the extra resistance is throwing me off. Next time I go out with them I'm going to take the cables off to see if that helps for now. I just need to spend some time with it
Thanks again for the advice!

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:42 pm

GLB try keeping your heel low to keep from being spread out, also you don't need too much fore/aft distance for stability in most situations. I think a boot length is plenty and what you should shoot for. Also try opening your turn up to at least hip width apart.

I had the T4s out with my Voile Insanes this morning and they are plenty of boot for a big ski in powder, unless you want to jump big drops or ski very fast.

GLB

Post by GLB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm

^^^Thanks for that. It's a balance thing with me and the taller stance but with more time I'm sure it will be fine.