Knee pain, candies and 3 pinners

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Knee pain, candies and 3 pinners

Post by Johnny » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:33 am

So today is my 100th ski day in a row... And at this time, year after year, my knees start to hurt really bad... Do you guys have any tips or special exercises to get rid of it? Extra-mega-omega strength heat rub doesn't work anymore...

I know, my diet (which is almost exclusively composed of whiskey, jelly beans and other candies) is probably the worst thing I can do... But I don't wanna hear about it... I just wanna keep ripping for another 100 days... Your help would be appreciated...

It's really worse this year... Maybe it has something to do with that fact that I don't use the cables much anymore... It seems to put more wear of the knees instead of the thighs... But maybe I just need to get used to it...

Anyway, I'll take a day off today... Time for some love making, ski tuning, and I wanna finish reading "The Secret Doctrine" By Helen Blavatsky... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: Knee pain, candies and 3 pinners

Post by Raventele » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am

Sit down..extend leg straight out..lift and hold some..repeat..
This will strengthen the knee's supporting muscles..
Rest..heat and cold..
Also use Ibuprofen therapy for swelling and pain..
Rest..
Cables do help keep one from lurching too
far forward ..that does lessen knee stresses..
Nothing wrong with 3 pin cables for XCd.. :D
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

mtbtele

Post by mtbtele » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Riding fixies and doing the on-bended-knee kind of snow sliding had given me some knee troubles, as well. I wish I got as many snow slidin' days as you, but what has helped my knees is the daily intake of glucosamine/chondroitin. Some would try to point out that this is just a placebo, but my anecdotal evidence indicates otherwise.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 am

Being an oldie and....having done mucho hammering on all parts of the bod....the following has helped....always slide your skis in the flats and the up....don't pick up the ski unless that's the only option....Drink lots of beer, smoke tons...er... Cruise at your own pace...smell the maples....do what Ron said....ice and heat if necessary...Most important LJ is to find a woman and...er....relax....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 am

Glucosamine? Sounds really hip... But I'll give it a try... Hey, this whole world is a placebo... Everything is illusion...! :o

Oh thanks for the exercise tip... Exactly want I needed...!

Cruise at your own pace, smell the maples... Now that's totally me... People always make fun of me when I tell them I can have very nice conversations with trees... (I keep this precious wisdom for myself now... )

I do have a nice and cool woman... But relaxing? Can't do it... Anxiety is destroying me... That's the thing about being a ski bum, you never know how you're gonna pay the rent or buy those jelly beans...

I've been thinking a lot about (read: missing) the cables lately... All this crust busting without cables is really hard on the knees... You really need to have a perfect balance, which I still don't have yet...

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 am

mtbtele wrote:Riding fixies and doing the on-bended-knee kind of snow sliding had given me some knee troubles, as well. I wish I got as many snow slidin' days as you, but what has helped my knees is the daily intake of glucosamine/chondroitin. Some would try to point out that this is just a placebo, but my anecdotal evidence indicates otherwise.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just sayin' ..

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:49 am

For XCD, I can parallel fine without the cables cuz
the feet are basically flat with knees both bent and not much
of a lead change or difference..
But I really need them for Tele on any real slope..
They just help keep me from lurching forward too far..
Cables on 3PC are so easy to deal with; just latch them around the risers
(I use the risers for more leverage and to keep up out of snow a bit) when
striding or climbing..Never any need to take the cables off as you so often
hear suggested..

TeleKräusen

Post by TeleKräusen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 pm

My sister is a kinesiologist.
She told me the muscles that tele skiers use need to be reinforced by doing wall sits. Particularly if you are inclining your knee too much towards your other leg like me.
T

DaHeel

Post by DaHeel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:49 pm

I had the same issue a few years back and it was actually quad tendonosis. Foam roller the shit out of the quad/aductor and area above the kneecap. Worked for this guy who shares a similar diet of whiskey, beer and bacon.
No one cares that you stayed for the summers!

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 am

It's really, really fun without the cables... Even on black diamond trails, way more fun...! (As long as you're on leathers... : ) But I'm still having a hard time breaking crust with them... (Yeah, crust is still here...!)

Remember that old NTN ad on TTips, "Cut the cable"...? It should have been a 3p ad... 8-)

Well, you guys will have to forgive my ignorance (or my poor english), but what are wall sits? And foam rolling?

Thanks!!