TTS - tele tech - pin tele

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bbergey

TTS - tele tech - pin tele

Post by bbergey » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 pm

So, have any of you experience with TTS? I am super interested and read that they ski powerfully (like HH and NTN)? I'm looking for a binding that tours well and has power and is reliable (like when at the resort, it doesn't do weird stuff). Currently on Freeride and got rid of all my 75mm gear so need a new binding to tour. Part of the interest is that I already have Kingpins and can use the toes with the TTS heal conversion. Thoughts?

devonpowell

Re: TTS - tele tech - pin tele

Post by devonpowell » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:00 am

I have a pair of the Meidjo 2.0s that I like. Added the stiffer springs. outlaws in the resort, meidjos when touring. They are really light, and tour really well. Haven't had any issues with them so far.

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 am

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

devonpowell

Post by devonpowell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 pm

I guess the one issue is the heel riser. Spring broke so it keeps falling down. Want to add the alpine heel, so will probably replace the spring when I mount those.

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 pm

devonpowell wrote:I guess the one issue is the heel riser. Spring broke so it keeps falling down. Want to add the alpine heel, so will probably replace the spring when I mount those.
Stinky. Man, seems like such a sweet concept - light, tours well, releasable, allows alpine heel. You using Tx Pro?

zonca
Ski style: Classic xc/w scales, TTS Telemark
Favorite Skis: Moonlight Eagle
Favorite boots: TXP, F1Race, F1

Post by zonca » Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 pm

I adopted TTS early getting on the Wasatch Ski beta version in the fall of 2012 so have a few hundred days on them. That first year I had a defective SkiTrab toe and later pulled apart one of the orig G3 springs in a front fall but otherwise no probs at all. For me the binding is near perfect. It does release (but not 100% reliably), it has a sweet adjustable activity and instant engagement, it is crazy light for touring and easy to switch from climb to ski and back. With the long springs I can put my knee on ski or stand tall in my favoured stance. I have solved the prob of snow packing under the binding (as much as it can ever be solved when the heel is free) with some hard plastic over the blocks. I think the latest version with the single block is pretty good as is.

Only other thing to say is that I have some parts for sale if you want to put something together on the cheap. Ask away if you have questions.
I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Algonquin Nation

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Can you be more explicit? «It does release (but not 100% reliably)». I've heard that it can't effectively release because the toe piece is not meant to be working with a tele heel tow... I really want to know more about that...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 pm

zonca wrote:I adopted TTS early getting on the Wasatch Ski beta version in the fall of 2012 so have a few hundred days on them. That first year I had a defective SkiTrab toe and later pulled apart one of the orig G3 springs in a front fall but otherwise no probs at all. For me the binding is near perfect. It does release (but not 100% reliably), it has a sweet adjustable activity and instant engagement, it is crazy light for touring and easy to switch from climb to ski and back. With the long springs I can put my knee on ski or stand tall in my favoured stance. I have solved the prob of snow packing under the binding (as much as it can ever be solved when the heel is free) with some hard plastic over the blocks. I think the latest version with the single block is pretty good as is.

Only other thing to say is that I have some parts for sale if you want to put something together on the cheap. Ask away if you have questions.
Thanks for the intel!

Very interested in buying heels. I have toes. Whatdayagot? Also curious about your release experiences.

zonca
Ski style: Classic xc/w scales, TTS Telemark
Favorite Skis: Moonlight Eagle
Favorite boots: TXP, F1Race, F1

Post by zonca » Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 am

I'll repost what I have for sale in TeleTurnAround.

I have had 0 prereleases but I am light and don't ski extremely fast or steep. Had numerous appropriate releases in falls. Note that greater spring preload = higher release setting. If you tighten up for higher activity it will take more to twist out. I have 2 TTS bindings set quite differently on eastern ice skis and western powder boards and both have released nicely. Sad to say I had one slow fall with skis under crust that didn't release ending in a fibular fracture.

Look at posts by jasonq on backcountrytalk.com for detailed explanation of how TTS type bindings release.
I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Algonquin Nation

devonpowell

Post by devonpowell » Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 pm

bbergey wrote:
devonpowell wrote:I guess the one issue is the heel riser. Spring broke so it keeps falling down. Want to add the alpine heel, so will probably replace the spring when I mount those.
Stinky. Man, seems like such a sweet concept - light, tours well, releasable, allows alpine heel. You using Tx Pro?
yep the 2014 tx pro with the heel tech inserts. Absolutely love the boots. Dsiclaimer that I swapped to tele from a life of alpine just last year, so just comparing to an old 75mm bd boot which was real worn out.