Tips n’ tricks 2 - poor mans free pivot binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
iBjorn

Tips n’ tricks 2 - poor mans free pivot binding

Post by iBjorn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm

The second tip is a classic from the good old days of the original TelemarkTips. By using a strap to hold the the heel lever in a looser uphill mode, you get considerable less spring resistance for easier climbing. Did this with great success with Riva bindings, just had to be careful when doing kick turns and so not to kick off the ski from the boot. Unfortunately I do not have any Riva bindings today, so I used a pair of wall mounted vintage skis and some straps to show the set-up.

By using a strap with quick release buckle, see second photo, the strap was always at the correct adjusted length and it also worked as a safety leash.
fullsizeoutput_783.jpeg
IMG_4775.JPG

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Re: Tips n’ tricks 2 - poor mans free pivot binding

Post by rongon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm

The old bungie trick. Yeah, I still use it. I took these skis up to Tucks last weekend, skinned up almost the whole way like this. (Sorry for the lousy photo)