How was your season?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

How was your season?

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Here is a thread that we all can have some input. What were highlights, breakthroughs or whatever.

My season was short and sweet. Between being out of town and crappy early season conditions I didn't start skiing until early January. The conditions were very variable, we got big dumps for the weekends followed by either warm,rain and windy or below zero F during the week. The best thing about this season is that my local trails and meadows had good snow (weekends anyway) for the first time in at least a few years and it was nice to only have to drive a few blocks instead of an hour or more to get to the goods.

I probably had the least amount of ski days at about 20 or 25 that I've had in over 25 years and even with one day at the resort I doubt I got more than 30,000 vertical feet. Spring skiing was a bust, between being out of town most of April and tied up with other commitments I didn't get out at all.

Harris

Re: How was your season?

Post by Harris » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:36 am

I feel for you brother. We had a great start to the season. I dare say Colorado type conditions, sun, cold temps and good snow, a rare thing in the PNW, and then we got some stellar lite dumpage, also a rare PNW thing (usually it comes in deep but watery), but then it seemed after every dump it rained and then froze solid boilerplate for weeks. Most of the season on the days I skied was crap; anything at the resort that wasn't cat was shut off, closed. And the one thing about up here is that the most of any mountain you ski is very limited groomer. So it totally sucked. But with a few stellar days. I was a trooper though. I skied 2 days a week daylight and a bunch of night skiing between. So I paid off the pass. Not sure I'll do that again when the runs are patently shitty. Save for skiing in Maine a few days mid-season I never got a good corn day.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:46 am

A re-post of what was by far the second best day of my season (the next was stupid better but forgot to charge the GoPro.

teledance

Post by teledance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:20 am

Only 47 or so days but 99℅ powder skiing. Must be getting old, used to ski 70-80/season but pickier now, some sweet side country hikes, and I finally bought some fatties. They made it easier on my aging body to keep up with my alpine skiing ex powder guide buddy. Spring skiing was mostly a wash 2 days where I showed up made 1 run and let. Skiing the local pass was fun but not really spring skiing this spring. Memorial Sat was 1 of two days of spring corn this season. Still fortunate to have had so many powder days this season. I will admit spring was just odd, more rain events than any other season I've seen here in 17 seasons. Was hard on the ski areas without the normal spring skiing crowds.
Last edited by teledance on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:03 am

Sixteen days touring, 17 days lift served skiing and 2 skimo races. Not a single day with alpine, or ice climbing. A good season I usually get approx 50 days of skiing and 5-6 days of alpine/ice climbing. Workload was the limitation factor this season. Snow conditions mostly sucked, alternating temperaturs and rain made up a season mostly of solid ice crust. The highlights were the two skimo races, really fun, and I also did 2 new summits touring.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:50 am

Great season for me! First time riding chairlifts and skiing back down hills on a regular basis in what, almost 7 years? (consecutive back injuries) Picked up the T4's, first plastic tele boot for me, and completely reconfigured my quiver going through several pairs of skis and binding types through quick rotation as I learned/taught myself/hacked my way through the winter learning how to tele on real downhill gear. I was really impressed about how different bindings can create such a different feeeeeeel depending on how they are set up. I like at least a little activity-- example: no like: G3 Targas, like: Cobra's, Hardwires, SBX2. Logged about 50 days.

After YEARS of X-Country only skiing it felt HOLY HELL GOOD to be skiing back down hills again. My alpine/AT gear just happens to fit my brother perfectly, so he has a very nice touring set-up (circa 2005) now and he can come join me. Also, I got him a pair of 75mm boots and I have enough XCD skis so he's set up there too! He says my basement is like having a personal rental shop. It's great to be able to ski with my brother again!

My XCD quiver is almost PERFECT, my Tele quiver is getting there, though I still struggle with my Vectors and I think that's a length issue. I would like a fat soft light touring ski that doesn't kick my ass, maybe a V6 or Rossi Sky HD7 Women's.

OH Yeah, and Altai KOMs! Woop! FUN

Here in New England we had moments of brilliance and moments of nightmare with a lot of snow followed by WARM with No Nightly Freeze-- terrible wet warm sloooow snow. We made the most of it.

I LOVE SKIING

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 pm

It sounds like we all had the same kind of weather this year. It's been like that a few years up here, I hope it's not the new normal.
Woodserson wrote: After YEARS of X-Country only skiing it felt HOLY HELL GOOD to be skiing back down hills again
CC skiing is a lot of fun but making turns is a different kind thrill and the better you get the more fun it is. It's addicting.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 pm

You're telling me! Ha!

I dream in skiing. It's good to be back. Telemark and soft boots saved downhill skiing for me.

PhilM11

Post by PhilM11 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Out here in California it was great! Mammoth is still open. Socal resorts opened early and closed Palm Sunday. I got started on some XC skiing love it. Classic. Want to try skating next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 pm

PhilM11 wrote:Out here in California it was great! Mammoth is still open. Socal resorts opened early and closed Palm Sunday. I got started on some XC skiing love it. Classic. Want to try skating next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
You guys really needed it. Is your drought over?