New Asnes skis for the 2017-2018 season!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
D'hostie

Re: New Asnes skis for the 2017-2018 season!

Post by D'hostie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Rocker has mainly been a tool to improve downhill (turn) performance by 1) allowing the tip to float up easier in variable snow and powder and 2) decreasing the effective length of the ski edge while allowing increased surface area in the rockered area.

Rocker may help the tips "plane" up in certain snow while touring, but the speeds are low enough where that is not necessarily the primary function although it may be marketed as such.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:43 pm

lilcliffy wrote:All of these skis are so narrow that the entire length of the ski needs to support your weight in order for them to be stable in deep, soft snow.
A perfect ski, the new 205cm Ingstad could be if it addresses this and adds easier turn initiation under 3ft of fresh powder... I like skinnies a lot on the downhill in deep snow, but they are freaking hard to turn under all that stuff, when jump turns are not possible...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:55 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: A perfect ski, the new 205cm Ingstad could be if it addresses this and adds easier turn initiation under 3ft of fresh powder... I like skinnies a lot on the downhill in deep snow, but they are freaking hard to turn under all that stuff, when jump turns are not possible...
Unlikely this will be a huge improvement over the S Bound series, now Excursion and Traverse, other than the fact that the weight is improved. Camber and flex could be a game changer, but if similar to other skis in the class, then mostly just a "me too" improvement.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:26 am

The new Asnes English website is up:
https://www.en.asnes.com/

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 pm

D'hostie wrote:
LoveJohnny wrote: A perfect ski, the new 205cm Ingstad could be if it addresses this and adds easier turn initiation under 3ft of fresh powder... I like skinnies a lot on the downhill in deep snow, but they are freaking hard to turn under all that stuff, when jump turns are not possible...
Unlikely this will be a huge improvement over the S Bound series, now Excursion and Traverse, other than the fact that the weight is improved. Camber and flex could be a game changer, but if similar to other skis in the class, then mostly just a "me too" improvement.
I think the S-bound maximum length is 189. The S-bound (excursion,etc) is only offered in waxless. The S-bound also has cheese edges, I have not dared to sharpen the edges on my 112's for fear there would be nothing left. So while I enjoy my S-112, I have not purchased a S-79 or 89. I still have a couple sets of 204/205 cm skis, and have no trouble turning them. Length certainly has it's advantages getting to the turns, so I respectfully do not think the Asnes as me too. Just my opinion, I am hoping somebody buys one. I would really like to hear a review.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 am

fisheater wrote:I am hoping somebody buys one. I would really like to hear a review.
From Asnes: ;)
Dear Johnny, I have ordered the first pair of Ingstads for you.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:43 pm

!!!!?????!!!!!
Are they sending you a pair to test?!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm

lilcliffy wrote:!!!!?????!!!!!
Are they sending you a pair to test?!
The only problem with Johnny having them first is he will post a video skiing powder still in November. In the video he will ski in his normal incredulably smooth style. He can probably ski like that on some hewn 1" x 4" 's. So the gear acquisition syndrome will only increase.
Perhaps you can get in on the order as well Gareth. Your reviews are second to none. Besides buying skis based on a Johnny video is like buying hockey sticks based on what Gretzky could do with one ;)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 am

Wish I had the budget to play with all of these skis! (BTW- I missed out a sweet deal 189cm Fischer E-88s- waiting for some contract income! Only have the 169cm left...)

I am squeezing my beer budget to buy another pair of skis this season- I would also really like a new pair of boots soon...

The "replacement" ski I am really after is my "steep and deep" yo-yo ski (to replace my old Guides)- still haven't decided between the Objective and the Vector/Kom...(With the price of the new OAC XCD GT- I just may end up giving them a go instead! For the price of the XCD GT, I can buy them, plus a new pair of boots, for the cost of the Objective/Vector).

I would be crazy to suggest I need another ski in the class of the Ingstad! So- if I buy one this season, I am going to have to wait for a good deal.

If I could get the new Ingstad at a significantly reduced price, I would buy one right now so I could put it through its paces this winter...

Otherwise, it will likely be winter 2018-2019 before I get a chance to seriously flex the new Ingstad in the New Brunswick hills.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:41 pm

D'hostie wrote:
pretty funny - these skis are as different as they could possibly be from Sbounds! No scales, 20 cm longer, more camber, lighter weight, less sidecut
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)