Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Young Satchel
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Young Satchel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Yeah- Fischer skis are pricey- don't get me wrong- they are worth it- but when you have a family to gear up- they are usually too much for us.

I must admit that I haven't bought any skis at full price in almost 20 years! Just takes some patience...

The Madshus backcountry line is significantly cheaper than Fischer or Asnes- of course, they are made in China...

Over the years, I have bought a small fleet of Eons and Epochs for my growing 4 children.


Thankfully I'm only gearing up myself for now!

And it's funny, they certainly aren't "cheap", but compared to what some of the other pursuits I have been interested in cost, BC Nordic seems damn cheap! Feel like I'll pay for this setup what I paid for a complete snowboard setup in 1994

And no lift tickets + cost of entry = solid value!

Of course.....like surfing, then the the addiction gets a hold of you and all of a sudden you need a quiver 5-10 deep


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Woodserson
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Woodserson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Wow activity!

Is it almost time?

Young Satchel this is a dangerous road to go down, careful now! I'm drowning in skis over here.

FWIW, it looks like LC covered a lot of it, I am 6'2" and 160lbs without gear. The following is not advice for you, but my experience if it helps at all.

I like my Sbound 88's in a 189 because they are for straight travel and good times and travel in ungroomed terrain with possibility of some turns required (skinny hiking trails with trees that are not too steep). My SB98's in a 189 were supposed to be for more travel and then turning down 100-300' shots and sometimes they work for this but as soon as things get manky I get bucked. I snatched a pair of an old WAX version of the 98's in a 179 and they are amazing for me, so I will be getting a pair of 98s in a 179 for this type of mission and keep the 88's in a longer length for more XC BC travel with minimal turning.

I have 78's too, but haven't been using them much once I got my 88's and 98's. They are a reserve ski for friends.

I have lots of other skis, thoughts and opinions, and don't have time to read this whole thread just at this point but I hope this helps a bit. LC is a great guide. I have other skis for tracks, ponds, lakes, strict up/down (KOMS), etc. but for general travel I'm on the SBounds.

WELCOME

Young Satchel
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Young Satchel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Woodserson wrote:Wow activity!

Is it almost time?

Young Satchel this is a dangerous road to go down, careful now! I'm drowning in skis over here.

FWIW, it looks like LC covered a lot of it, I am 6'2" and 160lbs without gear. The following is not advice for you, but my experience if it helps at all.

I like my Sbound 88's in a 189 because they are for straight travel and good times and travel in ungroomed terrain with possibility of some turns required (skinny hiking trails with trees that are not too steep). My SB98's in a 189 were supposed to be for more travel and then turning down 100-300' shots and sometimes they work for this but as soon as things get manky I get bucked. I snatched a pair of an old WAX version of the 98's in a 179 and they are amazing for me, so I will be getting a pair of 98s in a 179 for this type of mission and keep the 88's in a longer length for more XC BC travel with minimal turning.

I have 78's too, but haven't been using them much once I got my 88's and 98's. They are a reserve ski for friends.

I have lots of other skis, thoughts and opinions, and don't have time to read this whole thread just at this point but I hope this helps a bit. LC is a great guide. I have other skis for tracks, ponds, lakes, strict up/down (KOMS), etc. but for general travel I'm on the SBounds.

WELCOME


Hey Woodserson,

Thanks for the welcome, man. I'm pretty excited to have found this place tbh. But then as I lurked and saw the infrequency of posts I thought maybe it was now a dead forum (???) but thankfully, it seems like folks such as your self are breathing life into it. I guess maybe there's just not a ton to talk about in mid-August because it's HOT (although temps in the Catskills last night touched the high 50s!).

This is a bit tricky because the things that you have mentioned--be they "advice" strictly speaking or no--bring me back toward the damn S-Bounds that were calling my name. BUT, I think after much consideration and back and forth with Lilcliffy, the 78s in 189 make a little more sense for me. While I'll certainly be bashing around the woods, I feel like given my completely novice skill level, I won't really be seeking out a lot of true turns yet, and also won't have much occasion for more powdery stuff because , as we went over earlier in the thread, conditions here in NY's mid-Hudson valley don't often support that sadly.

But of course, as I get my bearings, I think it is inevitable that I will want to get up into the higher mountains (Catskills, Daks, etc...) where a fatter Ski like the two you mentioned makes more sense and is more fun on the downhill. At present , I feel like an 88 might work, while a 98 would certainly be too much Ski in the width department as my skill level likely won't have me in conditions to make best use of its positive attributes.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong?

Who knows.....

In either case, I look forward to hanging out and learning more from the folks here. I've spent a large portion of my afternoon trawling through the "Photos photos photos" thread and geeking out on all the photos and CIMA's awesome videos. I really hope that dude still posts here because I love reading and viewing his contributions

I think I'll sleep on the decisions a bit, but I may try to pounce on some purchases sooner rather than later...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Young Satchel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Blargh.

They tryna tempt me with packages.

http://www.akers-ski.com/product/1744P.html

Doesn't come with either the boots or bindings I want, but the savings is pretty substantial.

Ala carte price for the gear I have chosen based on recommendations here is around $729.00 USD sans easy skins. The package is $535.00 which represents a nearly $200.00 savings...



I'm usually a "build-your-own" type of Guy, but I can't say this isn't tempting....




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
lilcliffy
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Stanley, New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby lilcliffy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Can you get a manual binding?
That boot is plenty of support for that ski...
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

User avatar
The Lovely Bear
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 7:23 am
Location: The Great North Woods

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby The Lovely Bear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Image

+

Image

=

Image

Cannatonic
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Cannatonic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Spending $300 on the skis alone is a lot of money if we're on a budget IMO. As. soon as you get some experience you'll probably want another, different pair of skis as well. If you watch Craigslist in the fall there are usually great deals on XC-related gear.

I know I've sold many pairs of skis just like this through CL for pennies on the dollar. For example right now I'm selling a pair of mint, nearly unused 210cm E99 waxing skis and 3-pin bindings for $150, and I'll be lucky to get that. I've sold Epoch's and Eon's w/ 3-pins for the same price. It might be more important to focus on getting boots that fit well, I would be willing to spend more there.

That said, my favorite of the boots posted are the Crispi Antarctic. I didn't like Mountain as much, the heel cuff is too low, it seems perfect on the Antarctic. I like these better than the Alaska because they're a bit stiffer in the ankle area, and the 1-piece leather breaks in and conforms to my foot better. Alaska would be a great choice for NNNBC, Antarctic for 3-pin.

Young Satchel
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Young Satchel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Can you get a manual binding?
That boot is plenty of support for that ski...


Dunno, I may enquire.

Trouble is that foot comfort is actually quite important for me, and it sounds--from the description of yours and others that the Alaska is fairly narrow through the heel and mid-foot with a wider, high volume toe box. That's ideal for me for a variety of reasons including the fact that I have hallux limitus on my right big toe.

Both the boots they offer seem to have mixed reviews for comfort with one (forgot which) receiving numerous low marks for top-of-toe blisters which is a no-go for me given the above.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Young Satchel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Cannatonic wrote:Spending $300 on the skis alone is a lot of money if we're on a budget IMO. As. soon as you get some experience you'll probably want another, different pair of skis as well. If you watch Craigslist in the fall there are usually great deals on XC-related gear.

I know I've sold many pairs of skis just like this through CL for pennies on the dollar. For example right now I'm selling a pair of mint, nearly unused 210cm E99 waxing skis and 3-pin bindings for $150, and I'll be lucky to get that. I've sold Epoch's and Eon's w/ 3-pins for the same price. It might be more important to focus on getting boots that fit well, I would be willing to spend more there.

That said, my favorite of the boots posted are the Crispi Antarctic. I didn't like Mountain as much, the heel cuff is too low, it seems perfect on the Antarctic. I like these better than the Alaska because they're a bit stiffer in the ankle area, and the 1-piece leather breaks in and conforms to my foot better. Alaska would be a great choice for NNNBC, Antarctic for 3-pin.


Yeah I've actually got some search alerts going other places, checking forum classifieds etc, but I'm honestly having trouble locating anything desirable, at least at this point. Perhaps fortunes will improve in the Fall?

I'm leaning heavily towards an NNNBC/Alaska set-up at present, but I have looked at the Crispis as well.

Thanks for weighing in!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Postby Young Satchel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:44 pm

The Lovely Bear wrote:Image

+

Image

=

Image


The bear prefers the 88s, eh?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests