Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
teleclub

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by teleclub » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Congratulations on removing that barrier to skiing.
Have fun getting some time on snow. You mentioned maybe having to go out at night after work. I have to admit some of my happiest skiing has been done at night after I got the kids into bed (and someone home watching them :shock: ). Even if it was just laps around the Chagrin golf course, it changes everything about the day if you get outside to ski no matter how late or dark.

Desmo

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by Desmo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Cool! Sounds like a decent deal. Looking forward to your opinion of the 78's!!!

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

teleclub wrote:Congratulations on removing that barrier to skiing.
Have fun getting some time on snow. You mentioned maybe having to go out at night after work. I have to admit some of my happiest skiing has been done at night after I got the kids into bed (and someone home watching them :shock: ). Even if it was just laps around the Chagrin golf course, it changes everything about the day if you get outside to ski no matter how late or dark.
Thanks man!

And yes, I think this might be the ticket. I live in a small, semi-rural village within a stone’s throw of several conservation areas. I’m quite well set up with gear from my backpacking Arsenal, so You guys might get to hear about me puttering around the trails by headlamp in the Not-so-distant future. Will need to be somewhat careful though as I’m a total Nordic BC neophyte and have not set foot on a ski of any sort in over a decade lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 am

Desmo wrote:Cool! Sounds like a decent deal. Looking forward to your opinion of the 78's!!!
Yeah, I thought so too.

And hopefully I’ll be able to offer an opinion soon enough. Though keep
In mind I’ve never owned an XC ski at all, so will have little to compare to!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Very exciting my friend! Now you can start telling us your skiing story!
Good stuff.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Very exciting my friend! Now you can start telling us your skiing story!
Good stuff.
Can’t wait! I imagine it’ll involve a lot of falling/sliding on my ass lol [emoji23]

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm

I deeeeed eeeeeeet.

Proof:

That pretty much concludes this thread. A HUGE “Thank You” to everyone who weighed in, offered advice, and stuck with me answering my incessant questions over the course of the past 6 months (lollll).

Keep a look out for a new thread in the not-so-distant future devoted to chronicling my neophyte Nordic adventures, reviewing my new equipment as I learn to use it, soliciting technique tips, and other assorted bullshit. :-)

[emoji1365]

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Young Satchel wrote:Keep a look out for a new thread in the not-so-distant future devoted to chronicling my neophyte Nordic adventures, reviewing my new equipment as I learn to use it, soliciting technique tips, and other assorted bullshit.
Looking forward to your tale my friend!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Young Satchel wrote:Keep a look out for a new thread in the not-so-distant future devoted to chronicling my neophyte Nordic adventures, reviewing my new equipment as I learn to use it, soliciting technique tips, and other assorted bullshit.
Looking forward to your tale my friend!
Thanks man!

Currently 62 degrees and pouring rain [emoji24]. Adventures on hold until Conditions improve Hahahaha

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Nice! I am remounting my 78's now back to NNNBC as we speak