Vector replacement- ideas? V6/UltraVector something else?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:40 am

I love my 180 Vectors, they are an amazing ski. However, for my style and my strength level and my experience level in telemark skiing they are too much for me. Particularly the stiff tails really kick my ass hard in this length.

Last year I bought an old pair of K2 Pep Fujas 169cm somewhere around 128-98-118 (give or take a few mm) with lots of tip AND tail rocker. It's a great ski, and I really like it in the powpow. Very dreamy and easy to ski. However they weigh about 100lbs and suck for touring.

So I'm looking for a ski that's soft, with rock-cam-rock about mid-90s in the waist and coming in around 172-175cm in length. I'm driving them with T4s. They'll be for touring in deep snow in New England mostly.

I'm seriously looking at the V6 in a 173 129-98-110.

The NEW UltraVector is out with a softer flex and I'm unclear how much tail rocker has been added, but I don't think much- it's still their firm snow ski.

Any other ski ideas? I've been looking at Women's versions too.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am

Edited: relevance.
Last edited by Young Satchel on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson

Re: Vector replacement- ideas? V6/UltraVector something else?

Post by Woodserson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks- but no go. I'm looking into another ski class entirely here, not XCD, but an alpine ski for AT with wax base, and in the 170cm range.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 am

Woodserson wrote:Thanks- but no go. I'm looking into another ski class entirely here, not XCD, but an alpine ski for AT with wax base, and in the 170cm range.
Got it. Edited for relevance so as not to encourage off-target banter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Young Satchel wrote:
Woodserson wrote:Thanks- but no go. I'm looking into another ski class entirely here, not XCD, but an alpine ski for AT with wax base, and in the 170cm range.
Got it. Edited for relevance so as not to encourage off-target banter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, dude. Thanks anyway for the effort and participation!

A few added notes: Cheap is good. I looked at the Fischer Ranger 98 WOMENs but it got terrible reviews. The Rossignol Sky 7 WOMENS was seriously considered too, but the lengths run from 170 to 178 and I was thinking somewhere in the middle, which may be me limiting myself.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 pm

Whatever ski you decide on get the shortest length recommended for your weight for downhill performance. That's the mistake you made with the Vectors.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am

lowangle al wrote:Whatever ski you decide on get the shortest length recommended for your weight for downhill performance. That's the mistake you made with the Vectors.
The 180cm Vector is for 140lbs or above... I'm 160 naked... I love them when I parallel turn but when I telemark in rougher snow or terrain I just get bucked and resort back to nailing my heel down. Somewhat defeats the purpose.

I have sold them locally.

It's a mistake I made with the Fischer SBound 98's for sure (should have gotten the 179cm), though the 88's have the same weight specifications and I am fine on the 189cms.
Last edited by Woodserson on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 am

Vectors cheap now at Voile.com with their introduction of the UltraVector... FYI.. $437.50

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:06 pm

I know you've sold the Vectors so it's academic, but I think part of the problem you had was with the boot. When I first bought my Vector BC's in a 170 (I was around 145 lbs at the time) I skied them with the last generation T3, which is a forerunner of the T4. When I skied hardback as an experiment they washed out terribly. I now have a TTS system and TX NTN boots and the skis handle all conditions well.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 am

Nick BC wrote:I know you've sold the Vectors so it's academic, but I think part of the problem you had was with the boot. When I first bought my Vector BC's in a 170 (I was around 145 lbs at the time) I skied them with the last generation T3, which is a forerunner of the T4. When I skied hardback as an experiment they washed out terribly. I now have a TTS system and TX NTN boots and the skis handle all conditions well.
I would agree with you to a certain extent, except a I know a few people skiing the Vectors with T4s and they are quite happy. With my lesser ability levels, I sturdier boot would help me, but I am imposing a limit on boots and trying not to go any bigger than the T4. I have many personal reasons for this.

As I think I mentioned, if I was still alpine skiing I wouldn't even think about getting rid of these skis, I'd be on them all day, everyday.