NTN newbie, should I get the Meidjo 2.1 or Outlaw X ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Paté chinois

NTN newbie, should I get the Meidjo 2.1 or Outlaw X ?

Post by Paté chinois » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 am

Hi All,
I'm looking for advice from NTN users. I'm an experienced telemarker from the Northeast that has skied 75mm for the past 20 years (I currently ride a pair of old G3 ticket with Targa T9 and Crispi CXU). I'm getting new gear this year as I finally decided to reward myself after riding the same gear for 10 years :)
I will switch to NTN cause I'm sick of bending down each time I put on/remove my ski and having to deal with the leash. I also want ski break and something that can release cause I've been following my kids in the snowpark for the past three year and have had a couple of good close call (backward landing in tele is harder than it look ;)
I mostly ski lift area in the northeast with an occasional off piste week-end (I'd say 85% lift/15% earning turns). My new skis are Liberty Origin 96 :)
Any advice on binding choice will be highly appreciated. Does any one as tried both the Meidjo and Outlaw and have had a chance to test the releasability of them. I
Thanks in advance to your help !

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: NTN newbie, should I get the Meidjo 2.1 or Outlaw X ?

Post by Johnny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Hey Pauwté Tchingtok! Welcome to TT...!

The Meidjo is a killer binding if you're mostly into BC and looking for a light NTN binding. The Outlaw is an awesome binding if you're looking for the most solid, heavy-duty, and unbreakable binding out there.

But may I ask, why don't you just get your hands on the Freerides? 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Paté chinois

Post by Paté chinois » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks Johnny,
To answer your question, I have a history of problem with Rottefella binding and I'm not confident in their product. And one of the main reasons I'm going to NTN is to get the advantage of a step-in binding which the Freeride isn't really.
Did you had a chance to experience the release feature of either the Meidjo or Outlaw ? I know that 22design doesn't advertise the outlaw as a releasable binding but from what I read, it's similar to what the Freeride offers. what's your opinion on this ?
thanks !

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 am

They all release, the Freeride, the Meidjo, the Outlaw and all the exotic tech variations. The Meidjo does have a more advanced release system. BUT...

My opinion is that one should never base his decision on releasability. Unless it's DIN approved, it's never going to mean "safety". Of course a releasable binding is technically better than a non-releasable one. But hey, this is telly, not alpine skiing. There is no way to fully imply a safe release system due to the nature of the sport. So to me, releasability doesn't really mean anything when taking a decision...
I have a history of problem with Rottefella binding and I'm not confident in their product
I honestly don't have any preference in NTN bindings, I think they all have pros and cons. But telemark, especially with the force involved in NTN, is terrible on equipment. So keep in mind that you will probably have a history of problems no matter what NTN binding you choose. The good thing is that all these companies offer very, very good customer support and replacement parts are most of the time available at no charge.

If there was one perfect binding on the market, it would be the only one available... Why do you think there are so many options out there? 8-)

Paté chinois

Post by Paté chinois » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 am

Thanks for the advice Johnny. It really make sense !
Wishes you a great winter with tons of snow in your favorite ski area :)

TomH

Post by TomH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 pm

If I were mostly resort riding and just getting into NTN, it'd be 22 designs all the way. The Meidjo just has too many gremlins in its first couple of years for my tastes, and you'll also be even more limited on boot choices with having to have tech inserts.

I've been on Rotte Freerides for 5 years or so with no breakage on my pair, and I'm not a gentle skier (but I also don't run huge spring pre-load and don't ski super low). While you say they're not really a true step-in, they might as well be, as I can click in maybe 1 or 2 seconds slower than my alpine bindings - and never bend over to operate them. Getting in, I step the throws down, and getting out I hook them up with my ski pole handle (often times while I'm gliding out).

With all that being said, if G3 Targas are your current metric, NTN's likely going to feel really strange for a bit until you get some time on them. The biggest difference you'll notice is lateral edge control, as there is minimal slop/twist in the NTN bindings. With that, minor things that might not have inputted into your skis with your old set-up may do so with NTN.

What boots were you thinking of? I run Crispi Evo's, but the Crispi NTN offerings are a little narrower than the CXU's you're in. Scarpa may be a better fit for you.

Paté chinois

Post by Paté chinois » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:21 am

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the great input. I think I'll go for the Outlaw over the Meidjo as I'm mostly resort skiing.
What boots were you thinking of? I run Crispi Evo's, but the Crispi NTN offerings are a little narrower than the CXU's you're in Scarpa may be a better fit for you.
To answer you question, I bought a pair of almost new Scarpa TX with tech insert at a really good price. I find them a bit soft but I really could not pass on the deal ! There is no Crispi retailer where I live so I'm still trying to find someone with a size 27.5 or 28 Crispi Evo or World Cup so I could try them before ordering a pair online (I would then sell the Scarpa with a profit :)

What's your tought on the new Outlaw ? Should I get the Outlaw X or get a pair of last year Outlaw at a good discount (I found a retailer that is letting last year go at 300$ instead of 399$ for the X) ? From what I've read, beside an easier step-in/out and slightly longer spring travel, there is not much difference.

TomH

Post by TomH » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:49 am

For my money - I'd go with the Outlaw X. The main complaint I heard from a few guys I ran into with Outlaws was stepping in with brakes on the previous version was pretty finicky, and I believe that was supposed to be mostly addressed with the X.

Regarding boots, I wouldn't make too much of a judgement call on the boot softness until you put it together with whichever binding you'll use. Coming off CXU's/Targas I could see the TX being a better starting point for you that some of the newer Crispis. It's been a long time, but I remember the newer Crispi bellow style is a bit stiffer than the old one (even in my old XP 75 mm boots).

I'll probably be looking toward the TX Comp for my next boot once mine are ready to retire.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Paté chinois wrote:There is no Crispi retailer where I live so I'm still trying to find someone with a size 27.5 or 28 Crispi Evo or World Cup so I could try them before ordering a pair online (I would then sell the Scarpa with a profit :)
Gee Paté, I had a pair of size 28 Crispi Evos and a pair of Outlaws for sale last month... 8-)

I have Cripsi WC's if you wanna try them. You can order them at TelemarkDown and return them if they don't fit... They are very cool, and also the NA distributor for Crispi. Or closer, Mario in Bromont has World Cups in stock since yesterday. Keep in mind that the 27.5 and the 28 share the same shell size, it's the same boot, only the liners are different...

I still have to put the Meidjos to the test, but I'd really love to... 8-)

TomH

Post by TomH » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Keep in mind that the 27.5 and the 28 share the same shell size, it's the same boot, only the liners are different...
I think the liners are the same as well - just pre-molded to slightly different sizes. But once you thermo-mold the liner, you'd end up with the same result from either boot within a shell size.