What ski/binding combo for Scarpa Fabiano?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: What ski/binding combo for Scarpa Fabiano?

Post by Woodserson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 pm

lilcliffy wrote: It also brings confidence to Fischer's weight recommendations. I think for many of us- myself included- we habitually think of all Nordic skis from a traditional perspective in terms of length. 179cm is a very short Nordic ski from a traditional perspective. Sounds like it is best to follow Fischer's design-based recommendations if one wants to fully take advantage of the downhill performance they have to offer!
Yes, specifically the downhill turning portion of the performance scale. I still get more than acceptable kick/grip when it comes to the longer skis even though I'm way below the weight recommendation on the 189cm, and is why I kept the longer 88's for distance touring that are less turn oriented.

TeleBeaver

Post by TeleBeaver » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 pm

An update:

Last winter I never did get a pair of xcd skis, too poor and too busy skiing the resort and learning my way around the Wasatch on big mountain tours. However, in the spring I did have a chance to ski the Fabianos. There is an underground retro-tele big mountain comp every year at Alta called the smelly kneepad (more of a party than a comp). I participated with a pair of borrowed Karhu Supreme 203s mounted with Voile vp1s and can honestly say that learning to ride the leather boots was some of the most fun I had last year. First run, when unloading the chairlift I fell straight on my ass. With no backseat to lever off, even standing up off the chair was difficult. After a few runs though, I found the sweet spot and was pretty much ripping turns on groomers. Skiing down Highboy at Alta for the "comp" was a different story... (more falling than turning). Anyway the leather experience was so enjoyable, that when my Uncle (a fellow tele skier) took me to A-basin in May, I grabbed his old pair of Rossignol Haute Routes with riva bindings from the garage and spent the day on the fabianos. It worked out well because being on the light gear made skiing the few open blue groomers a challenge.

This season I am based in Crested Butte Colorado and had my heart set on an xcd setup. There are some madshus eons for sale at Ski Haus in Steamboat for 50% off but even then they were a bit spendy for me. I have been keeping my eye out at the local secondhand shops but haven't found anything until today. I made the drive over to A-basin for opening day tomorrow, and stopped in Frisco at Recycle Sports on the way. In the basement I found them: 200cm Karhu XCD GT with mora? 3-pin bindings. They are of the waxable variety and in mint condition so I grabbed them. $19.99. 8-)

After spending the morning on my NTN stuff tomorrow, I'll be ripping the new sticks. Photos and videos to follow, and hopefully once it actually snows I can share some real XCD content with you guys. (After I learn to turn these things in powder lol).

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:51 am

Man are you ever into some great riding....Fabiano's...wow..... Enjoy! TM

TeleBeaver

Post by TeleBeaver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 pm

The skis:

Had a grand old time sliding around on these at A-basin on saturday. They are definitely double camber, but I was able to link up turns no problem after a few runs. I saw arguably in more control than many of the noob snowboarders and skiers flailing about on the white ribbon of death :roll: . Fabianos were as sweet and comfy as ever. Its fun to rock this stuff at the resort, because people have no concept of how you can possibly ski then down hill :lol: . Wish I could have got some footage for you guys but I didn't have anyone to film me.

While I was at Recycle Sports picking up these skis, I also came across a rare gem; a pair of Merrell Supercomps in size 10 that look hardly skied. I don't need a pair of supercomps, I didn't want a pair of supercomps, but the price was right at $19 bucks so I splurged and now I have the most burly boot allowed in smelly kneepad competition rules. Victory will be mine this season! Now I've gotta find a pair of skis to match them for the ultimate retro resort setup. They certainly aren't an XCD boot because they feel like they would tour worse than my plastic scarpa tx with the tec fittings and walk mode.. Anyway they should be something fun to fool around on this season. For some reason I feel like these paired with a more downhill oriented (yet still skinny) telemark ski would absolutely crush moguls...

The fabianos just might be the sexiest boot I have ever seen or skied. Can't wait to take them out into the bc on the Karhus once the real season starts. I need to improve my off piste leather skills.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Telebeaver, those Karhu xcd-gts look to be from 1985 at the latest, they were my first tele ski.

My favorite combo with leather boots for touring for turns was a Riva binding with a single camber ski about 70 -75mm at the waist.